Top Gun 2

RadicalDisco said:
You guys sure this isn't just an April Fool's prank? Just throwing that out there.

The article is based on a video interview with Jerry Bruckheimer posted on Huffington Post on 3/28/14.

It makes it no less of a joke though..

Having written that, I did enjoy the hilarious 'Tallboy' inclusion in the last Rambo flick.

bobbymike said:
mithril said:
bobbymike said:

wasn't this the concept for Stealth?

Exactly, how about Top Gun II The Crimean Crisis? Raptors vs T-50

Remember, the Pete "Maverick" Mitchell character was a Naval Aviator. So it's "Superbug" or F-35. Before the Crimean Crisis, the story could have been related to the "Asia Pivot."

Triton said:
bobbymike said:
mithril said:
bobbymike said:

wasn't this the concept for Stealth?

Exactly, how about Top Gun II The Crimean Crisis? Raptors vs T-50

Remember, the Pete "Maverick" Mitchell character was a Naval Aviator. So it's "Superbug" or F-35. Before the Crimean Crisis, the story could have been related to the "Asia Pivot."
Remember it is Hollywood - Maverick is recruited to fly the F-22 cause he is the 'best of the best' ;) Plus I really want a portrayal, even fictional, of the F-22 vs T-50 ;D

bobbymike said:
Remember it is Hollywood - Maverick is recruited to fly the F-22 cause he is the 'best of the best' ;) Plus I really want a portrayal, even fictional, of the F-22 vs T-50 ;D

Or the AFX-635. ;D

From @TomCruise on Twitter #Day1

It's a Super Hornet, not an F-35, so the need being felt is the need for drag!

More at https://combataircraft.keypublishing.com/2018/05/31/new-topgun-movie-breaks-cover/

Attachments

• tg2.jpg
    tg2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 222
eh. Hard to match the visual might of an F-14 with an F-35, even harder with a Rhino.
There are no two-seater -35s, so maybe that's part of the reason?
I hope they get support from the Navy and can do some live action air-to-air footage as opposed to CGI.
I'm keeping expectations low but you know i'm going to watch it regardless.

Nah, He's just saying "goodbye" to the SH B)

AeroFranz said:
eh. Hard to match the visual might of an F-14 with an F-35, even harder with a Rhino.
There are no two-seater -35s, so maybe that's part of the reason?
I hope they get support from the Navy and can do some live action air-to-air footage as opposed to CGI.
I'm keeping expectations low but you know i'm going to watch it regardless.

The F-14 had personality that neither the Hornet nor Lightning come close to touching.

If Maverick is an instructor in a RAG for the Super Hornet, then he's in only one of two places: NAS Oceana, VA with the VFA-106 or NAS Lemoore, CA with the VFA-122. If I were a betting man I would say NAS Lemoore for the canyon hugging action of the previous movie and its proximity to Hollywood. For the UAS, maybe the X-47B with all of the footage of its carrier takeoff and landings and inflight refueling that the studios could get cheap from the Navy. It would show that such systems can operate around a carrier and will have a future in the Navy's fighter role.

Another more likely scenario is the SH is playing Red Air just as the A-4 Skyhawk did in the original movie.

Rumored casting from Flickeringmyth.com
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/rumoured-casting-breakdown-for-top-gun-2-reveals-new-characters-including-gooses-son/

RIOT FKA WRIGLEY: Supporting Male (20-29) Goose’s son. All-American good looks. Rode a football scholarship to an Ivy League degree. He is in love with Sugar. He distrusts Maverick and dislikes what he stands for, although they have a lot of similarities. Eventually, comes to respect Maverick and uses his techniques. He is forced to eject in enemy territory and Maverick comes to save him.

PENNY BENJAMIN Supporting Female (40-55) The mother of “Miriam” and sister of “Caspar.” She is tough and has been around pilots all her life. She resists Maverick at first, but his charm wears her down. Maverick falls in love with her and “Miriam.”

SUGAR Supporting Female (20-29) Latina. Cool and perfect. She has a sense of a loner and is out to prove herself to everyone. Naturally gifted leader. She and “Wrigley” fall for one another.

RYAN KENDRICK “KANSAS” Supporting Male (20-29) Southern-Charm. A laidback southerner who’s always smiling, which is part of his competitive charm.

TIM FLETCHER “OTTER” Supporting Male (20-29) Nerdy, but super competitive. A member of the class and eventually gives up his spot so Maverick can join the final mission.

KELVIN GARCIA “SHOTGUN” Supporting Male (20-29) Burly and earnest

CINDA CLARENCE “DRONE” Supporting Female (20-29) Sharp and tough

ADMIRAL ROBBY BENJAMIN “CASPAR” Supporting Male (50-69) No nonsense Texan, laid-back demeanor masks his intensity. One star admiral. He distrusts Maverick and doesn’t like his selfish attitude in the Sky. Caspar knows how gifted Maverick is, and eventually lets him join the final mission.

BOYD Supporting Male (50) A two-star general who takes no shit. Tough and weathered.

MIRIAM Supporting Female (10-12) Penny’s daughter.

CMC TOBIN MACRAE “ROWDY” Supporting Male (30-45) “Young, wiry” enlisted man. Maverick’s long-suffering Plane Captain

Appears the first scenes were shot at NAS North Island, CA.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/entertainment/the-scene/Maverick-Is-Back-Top-Gun-Sequel-Begins-Filming-at-Naval-Air-Station-North-Island-in-Coronado-484217911.html

Dynoman said:
Rumored casting from Flickeringmyth.com
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/rumoured-casting-breakdown-for-top-gun-2-reveals-new-characters-including-gooses-son/

RIOT FKA WRIGLEY: Supporting Male (20-29) Goose’s son. All-American good looks. Rode a football scholarship to an Ivy League degree. He is in love with Sugar. He distrusts Maverick and dislikes what he stands for, although they have a lot of similarities. Eventually, comes to respect Maverick and uses his techniques. He is forced to eject in enemy territory and Maverick comes to save him.

PENNY BENJAMIN Supporting Female (40-55) The mother of “Miriam” and sister of “Caspar.” She is tough and has been around pilots all her life. She resists Maverick at first, but his charm wears her down. Maverick falls in love with her and “Miriam.”

SUGAR Supporting Female (20-29) Latina. Cool and perfect. She has a sense of a loner and is out to prove herself to everyone. Naturally gifted leader. She and “Wrigley” fall for one another.

RYAN KENDRICK “KANSAS” Supporting Male (20-29) Southern-Charm. A laidback southerner who’s always smiling, which is part of his competitive charm.

TIM FLETCHER “OTTER” Supporting Male (20-29) Nerdy, but super competitive. A member of the class and eventually gives up his spot so Maverick can join the final mission.

KELVIN GARCIA “SHOTGUN” Supporting Male (20-29) Burly and earnest

CINDA CLARENCE “DRONE” Supporting Female (20-29) Sharp and tough

ADMIRAL ROBBY BENJAMIN “CASPAR” Supporting Male (50-69) No nonsense Texan, laid-back demeanor masks his intensity. One star admiral. He distrusts Maverick and doesn’t like his selfish attitude in the Sky. Caspar knows how gifted Maverick is, and eventually lets him join the final mission.

BOYD Supporting Male (50) A two-star general who takes no shit. Tough and weathered.

MIRIAM Supporting Female (10-12) Penny’s daughter.

CMC TOBIN MACRAE “ROWDY” Supporting Male (30-45) “Young, wiry” enlisted man. Maverick’s long-suffering Plane Captain

I'd love to see Phoebe Waller-Bridge kind of reprise her involvement as the voice of the UCAV protagonist in this based upon her role as L3-37 in Solo: A Star Wars Story ;D

hansolo5ad3af1d14085_-_h_2018.jpg

So, Maverick has the Command Master Chief downloading fault codes and ArmorAlling the tires on his jet? ??? Spiffy.

Tom Cruise sparks 'Top Gun' feud between US Air Force, Navy

In a clear dig aimed at its friendly rivals, the Air Force's official account posted Cruise's photo with a caption that mocks Maverick's Navy jet -- itself an upgrade over the F-14 Tomcat he pilots in the original film -- as inferior to its own F-15 Strike Eagle.
"If Maverick really had a need for speed, he could hop into one of our F-15E Strike Eagles! #DYK: They have a top speed of 1,875 miles per hour," it said, touting the Air Force's own 1980s-era jet that has long been hailed as the most successful dog-fighting aircraft in US history -- tallying more than 100 aerial combat victories, according to Boeing, the plane's primary contractor and developer.
The Navy responded by simply tweeting, "Remember, boys, no points for second place" -- an ode to one of the movie's more memorable quotes.
Not to be outdone, the Air Force again leaned on the F-15's dog-fighting prowess with a reference to the aircraft's undefeated air-to-air combat record: "The F-15 knows nothing about this "second place" thing you speak of. Check the scoreboard! #Undefeated."

http://www.wavy.com/news/military/tom-cruise-sparks-top-gun-feud-between-us-air-force-navy/1212525440

Top Gun- Maverick, working under the project's code name, 'Island Plaza,' has received $21 million in tax credits from the State of California for filming 75% or more in the state. Film locations are expected in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Northern California.

Also, Maverick's new earthbound ride is a Ninja H2-R.

Combining all of the 'evidence' that I've read so far, one narrative is that Maverick is now Commander of Top Gun (i.e. the previous role of Viper) and becomes the sage to Goose's son Wrigley (a mentoring role that was seen between Maverick and Viper in the original Top Gun). Wrigley competes for the coveted Top Gun patch while pursuing the driven loner Sugar. (I assume that Sugar is another Top Gun student). Maverick, whose own love interest is Penny Bengamin, whom Maverick said he went 'ballistic' with in the first movie, has his own love interest and becomes a subplot to the story. Maverick is now confronted with introducing a new syllabus into Top Gun that integrates UCAVs into the curriculum: Combined Manned and UCAV fleet protection. This would involve flights in support of or being supported by UCAVs and defensive air operations against UCAVs. Iceman maybe head of UCAV program management or ground operator training and UCAV ACM tactics. Key elements to the story line would be the pilots inability to sustain high-g maneuvers with a UCAV and the pilot's slight advantage in resolving maneuvering solutions in close ACM with tighter OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act) cycles. In the end Maverick and Wrigley get their respective girl's and UCAV becomes the star of the movie.

https://news.usni.org/2018/08/27/top-gun-maverick-will-likely-feature-f-35c-joint-strike-fighters

Hollywood’s latest take on naval aviation, Top Gun: Maverick, will likely pair the Navy’s new Lockheed Martin F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters alongside older Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, in the sequel to the 1986 blockbuster.

A film crew from Paramount Pictures was aboard aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) the same time the Navy began launching F-35C jets off the ship interchangeably with F/A-18E-F Super Hornets as an integrated air wing.

With six F-35Cs operating aboard Lincoln since Aug. 20th, USNI News understands, the film crew almost certainly got an up-close look at the Navy’s newest fighters – operating alongside the Super Hornets, the EA-18G Growlers, the E-2 Hawkeye and the C-2 Greyhound.

Here the first picture showing Capitan Pete "Maverick" Mitchell's Rhino.
Link: https://theaviationist.com/2018/09/13/is-this-mavericks-new-f-a-18f-super-hornet-for-filming-top-gun-sequel/

Eh. The baby blue markings are a bit garish, if you ask me. Fighters are cool enough without this buffoonery.
And what's with the three silhouettes of hornets under the canopy rail? has Maverick been doing some blue-on-blue shooting? Now, if those were MiG-28s...
Bah humbug!

You do sometimes see "kill" markings from exercises, if there was something notable about the event. Maybe he won a 3v1 in some training sortie.

TomS said:
You do sometimes see "kill" markings from exercises, if there was something notable about the event. Maybe he won a 3v1 in some training sortie.

Like an F-22 marking on a Super Hornet. ;)

From what I understand this was on an aircraft at a Red Flag event.

Attachments

• Kill Markings on a US aircraft at Red Flag.jpg
    Kill Markings on a US aircraft at Red Flag.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 270
  • ea18g_f22kill.jpg
    ea18g_f22kill.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 264
i'll be darned. the things you learn... ;D
the pilot of the airplane in the first picture has 'killed' $2B+ worth of equipment!

All the cast members have been chosen for Top Gun- Maverick. I'm curious if the 'final fight scene' is high over the China Sea. A couple of indicators may point to that possibility. If so...it will be interesting to see which aircraft they use in the battle. Hopefully not Russian 'MiG-28's' (F-5) again. Maybe they can get with Paul Allen of Microsoft and borrow his privately owned MiG-29 or paint some F-22's black and call them J-31's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun:_Maverick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq92ZC5cYoM

Topgun still going "Practical":

“We’re shooting the movie in, I think, 6K. So it’s incredibly hi-def. The aerial footage is mind-blowing. And it’s mostly practical. There’s not a lot of CG. Those guys are really up in planes and getting thrown around in multiple Gs.”
[...]
“I think it’s gonna be, for the people who love the first movie I think it’s gonna’ be very interesting to watch. It very much takes the story in a different direction. But I think for the new fans it’s gonna be something very cool, too. I’ve seen some of the footage, it is out of this world.”

Source:

Last edited:
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but while the original movie (well the aircraft and carrier footage was good) the story line was boring as hell. IMO there doesn't need to be (and I dread to think) a sequel!!

Regards
Pioneer

There will always be a possibility that the sequel will excell the original and it should be given the chance to do so with the audience. I am hoping it will knock folks socks off.

You know, 1980's public expectation was pretty low. We were rather happy with the story line, attracted like moths by the never seen before aerial footage (if we exclude forgotten war ones).

Personally, I will be at the opening stage of TopGun II... and probably at another couple of seances in the weeks after ;)

Last edited:
I don't know how true this is but one source said that a blast-from-the-past will make a surprise comeback in the movie. If the source is correct and the reasons for the return of this 'star' is accurate then the dynamics of the movie are a lot more than just a love story with a lot of dog-fighting. I just hope that the movie doesn't try to make an action film that is working to compete against the fast-paced CGI intensive super-hero genres with a story that's so unrealistic that it leaves the movie go'er going, "awesome flying scenes, but this would never happen." Hopefully, the writers will pay homage to the simplicity of the original film with its focus on the aircraft and not on a bunch of unnecessary subplots.

Maverick in the cockpit of an F-14. An aircraft with the same markings was also seen on USS Theodore Roosevelt with a film crew and Cruise. Looks like the enemy may hold its pink slip now.

I wonder if this movie will be as Gay as the last one was?

Extremely conflicted; weird combination of thinking it looks f€@king terrible (my adult mind) and it looks f€@kung awesome (my inner kid, who should still know better ).