• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

This radio control aircraft thing is getting out of hand

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
The other end of the scale. This shows the performance that can be achieved from very small and inexpensive models.

The first two models in this video are built to avoid the FAA's regulation that any RC model weighing more than 250g has to have its pilot's FAA issued number, name, address, and phone number posted on the outside of the model so that they know who to direct enforcement actions at when a pilot is observed in violation of their regulations. The FAA is talking about requiring all RC models to have transponders and there is in many places a maximum flight altitude of 400'. This has come about due to the explosion in drone numbers and antics and the desire of commercial drone operators to grab all the unfettered sky they can to conduct their business and to sweep recreational RC pilots out of their way. All of the negative incidents of RC model and full scale aircraft have been committed by drone pilots and all non-drone RC pilots have experienced increased regulation and oversight that had not been necessary in the previous 50+ years of RC model flight.

edwest

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Who cares about very small models? :)

The above video was shot in a country without the FAA. And it doesn't matter if they have their own version of the FAA. Something that big can only be classified as a missile. And who built it? The wing loading was not negligible. The engines... The military are amateurs compared to these guys.

Nik

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
And now there's images of a 'Black Triangle' above Portland ANG...

But, crucially, no scaling info. So, prototype pizza-box 'grunt' drone for peeking over hill ? Or a really creative aero-modeller's dream-machine...

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
That RC model Concorde is bigger than some piloted, amateur-built airplanes! ... probably as expensive with four jet engines.
Why anyone would devote that much time and energy to an airplane that will not carry a man around is a mystery to me?????

edwest

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is similar to the question: Why did you climb Mount Everest? Answer: Because it's there.

Those with the engineering knowledge apparently decided to put their skill into building something that, while having no useful, profit-making purpose, did show their skill at building something they wanted.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
This is similar to the question: Why did you climb Mount Everest? Answer: Because it's there.

Those with the engineering knowledge apparently decided to put their skill into building something that, while having no useful, profit-making purpose, did show their skill at building something they wanted.
.....and was great entertainment/fun too.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
That RC model Concorde is bigger than some piloted, amateur-built airplanes! ... probably as expensive with four jet engines.
Why anyone would devote that much time and energy to an airplane that will not carry a man around is a mystery to me?????
Why spend $100,000 on an R/C B-52 that's just going to crash?

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

Same goes for high powered rocketry.

(This last guy was going to build a full scale Nike Hercules but I don't know why he didn't.)

Last edited:

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Reaction score
Why get out of bed? Why draw another breath of air? Why challenge yourself?

There are those that do, with a reason.

And there are those who do not, for any number of reasons.

David
doer

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart." — Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE