• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

The Verticopter

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=32391&st=20

Attachments

• 3166.jpg
    3166.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 251

Demon Lord Razgriz

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Clearly fictional, and I think I might know who made that. Looks very close to a drawing a friend of mine did last year for an RP.

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I thought there was a similarly-shaped small UAV designed by an Italian small company...The pics I saw showed a black paint job...don't remember much else, but it did have the buried lift fan in the center of the fuselage and was a canard IIRC.

ouroboros

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Considering the Excalibur UCAV is functionally similar, and that's in early flight testing now, This concept is not entirely in the realm of fantasy. The only problem being the variable weight of passengers being so far from the CG. With the Excalibur, at least an attempt is made to deal with the CG issue by having three edge fans.

saturncanuck

Any landing you can walk away from, is a good one.
Reaction score
Website
www.aerofile.ca
ouroboros said:
Considering the Excalibur UCAV is functionally similar, and that's in early flight testing now, This concept is not entirely in the realm of fantasy. The only problem being the variable weight of passengers being so far from the CG. With the Excalibur, at least an attempt is made to deal with the CG issue by having three edge fans.

Oh, I agree. I just feel that these kinda things never see the light of day.

shedofdread

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The biggest challenge with projects like this are the financial ones. Small business has a devil of a job taking on the 'big boys'. Even if your ideas are better than theirs, you still have to overcome their marketing and lobbying power.

Whilst an unconventional airframe / configuration, I can't see any significant conceptual problems. However, how do they acheive roll and pitch control whilst in the hover? Yaw, I presume is by torque splitting the lift fans. I couldn't see any evidence of control fans (Excalibur style).

S

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

There's a video on YouTube of the Garrow Aircraft Verticopter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJc6TX7Reoo

Enjoy the Day! Mark