The Supersonic BONE: A Development and Operational History of the B-1 Bomber

I am so going to be getting that book when it is released, a long time to wait though.

Seems to be out!

22191.jpg
When the B-52 Stratofortress entered operational service with the US Air Force in 1955, work was already underway on defining its successor. The B-70 Valkyrie, a Mach 3 jet bomber, was one option. Although two XB-70A prototypes flew, the B-70 never went into production. Out of the subsequent Advanced Manned Strategic Aircraft program came the B-1A bomber, which flew at high speed and low altitude to evade enemy air defenses. The B-1A was cancelled in favor of fitting the B-52 with cruise missiles. The B-1, known as the BONE, was revived in 1981 as the improved B-1B to boost American military power and be a symbol of American strength at the peak of Cold War tensions. The B-1B entered service in 1986 with several deficiencies. The resolution of most of these issues coincided with the end of the Cold War.

After the Cold War, the B-1B lost its primary nuclear mission but remained relevant by transforming into a high-speed, long-range, high-payload delivery platform for conventional precision-guided munitions. The first combat use of the B-1B was in 1998 in Iraq. The BONE has proved a highly effective combat aircraft in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria and the former Yugoslavia.

This superbly researched and illustrated book traces the BONE’s long development and operational history in fascinating detail.

Anyone on this forum got the BONE book yet? As I am considering getting a copy.

I didn't buy the book, but there is a review with a short video here:

From that I got the impression that it looks like a coffee table book, which is not really what I am looking for.

I didn't buy the book, but there is a review with a short video here:

From that I got the impression that it looks like a coffee table book, which is not really what I am looking for.

Thanks Dagger.

Just discovered that Pen and Sword are to re-release the B-1 BONE book on the 30th of November, I think that it has been a very popular book.

Last edited:
Wut?

Most amazon reviews are 5 stars for almost every book no matter how poor, so that's of little value.

IIRC when I posted that flip-through video link the hardcover price on amazon was 34 euros and the Kindle edition was 14 euros.
Since then the hardcover price has gone up to 44 euros while the Kindle edition price dropped to only 4 euros,
so at the moment that's a no-brainer: buy the Kindle edition before amazon changes their mind again.

As I already suspected from the flip-through video: the book has way too many photos and not enough text and technical details. A lot of the photos look alike and only a few show some details close-up. A reviewer states that this is a good reference for modellers due to the photos but I don't see why. At least half the photos should have been deleted by the editor as, in my opinion, they add nothing. They seem to be there just to increase the page count.
Note also that although the hardcover has about 390 pages of 17x25 cm (according to amazon), that is only 250 pages A4 equivalent of which less than 100 pages A4 equivalent is usefull B-1 text.

My verdict now: the present hardcover price of 44 euros is way too high for a book with mainly photos, but the present Kindle price of only 4 euros is nevertheless a bargain.

I hope it covers the history that settles why B-1A intakes could never be fit later on B-1B.

I have the book. It isn't poor, it is well researched, but it isn't focused on the areas I'm interested in. The author isn't interested in projects, configuration evolution, or even detailed technical descriptions, he is interested in B-1B testing (from prototype stage) and then operational use. Don't expect to learn anything about predecessor programs like AMPSS, or rival AMSA designs. Its just a bit about the B-70 and a chapter on the B-1A.

Illustrations are overwhelmingly photos of actual aircraft, it doesn't have much in the way of drawings or artwork or a detailed walkaround even.

Contents

Introduction vi
Acknowledgements viii
Abbreviations x
Chapter 1 The Rise of the American Strategic Bomber 1
Chapter 2 B-70 Valkyrie 4
Chapter 3 B-1A 14
Chapter 4 From A to B 61
Chapter 5 The Supersonic Cadillac 79
Chapter 6 Nuclear Weapons 131
Chapter 7 B-1B Development and Testing 141
Chapter 8 Building the B-1B 194
Chapter 9 SAC Service 206
Chapter 10 After the Cold War 231
Chapter 11 Combat Debut 273
Chapter 12 The Global War on Terror 281
Chapter 13 Maintaining and Modernizing the BONE 323
Chapter 14 The B-1B and Air Force Global Strike Command 333
Chapter 15 Global Presence 343
Chapter 16 Twilight of the BONE 350
Bibliography 357

I have it as well - Paul nails it with his description. Taking it to Scout Summer Camp next week to read while relaxing....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I have it and agree with Paul and Mark. I don't regret buying it.

I am reminded of a bad review I saw of I think one of Tony Butler's books along the lines of "Boring - its just a load of airplane designs that didn't get built".

Not all books appeal to all readers.

The reviewer of the Tony Butler's book should get taken out and shot (only kidding!!) ;) All of the comments have made me want this book even more, it's a pity that it is needing to be re-published. November cannot come quick enough.

I am reminded of a bad review I saw of I think one of Tony Butler's books along the lines of "Boring - its just a load of airplane designs that didn't get built".
I can see that, actually - the 'secret projects' titles can easily be misinterpreted by a casual browser as promising a book exposing highly classified aircraft for the first time. Presumably the author of the review in question didn't check what it was actually about before buying it.

I've certainly had a few comments along the lines of 'it can't be that secret if it's in a book!' from people looking at my shelves.

Ahem:

US Bomber Projects #01 Kindle Edition

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-17-07 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #01 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle...png

Of course, I had other reviews of a slightly more vitriolic nature:

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-19-19 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #06 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle...png

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-22-46 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #05 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle...png
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-23-30 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #8 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle ...png
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-24-04 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #9 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle ...png

And lastly, evidence that reviewers with axes to grind make dubious prophets:
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 11-24-58 Amazon.com US Bomber Projects #10 eBook Lowther Scott Kindle...png

Ahem:

US Bomber Projects #01 Kindle Edition

View attachment 681041

Of course, I had other reviews of a slightly more vitriolic nature:

View attachment 681042

View attachment 681043
View attachment 681044
View attachment 681045

And lastly, evidence that reviewers with axes to grind make dubious prophets:
View attachment 681046
Mr. Lucky probably has nightmares about you. :D Note, he's not even a confirmed buyer.

Back
Top Bottom