The Shortest Lived Mega Bomber You Never Heard Of - Convair YB-60

Yeah, but does your book have moving pictures?! ;)

The Dark Skies channel and similar channels are largely made up of stock footage and photos and drawings found using Google Image Search. The producers never seem to ask for permission to use the content. Stuff Scott published, things posted here, pop up without credits fairly often.

The voiceover is the only original part.

There were so many prototypes. Some were simply not particularly good, so they weren't proceeded with. The YB-60 is one of those. These not-proceeded-with projects tend to deserve the obscurity into which they fall.

This is actually what the B-52 looked like before the meth and tapeworm diet. Really sad. A B-36 with swept wings...and cancer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know this video ain't aimed at me, but... am I the only one sick to the rafters with "XYZ Thing You've Never Heard Of!" when I have four books on the subject?
The Algorithm rules all on YouTube. And The Algorithm likes clickbait. Those who do not obey The Algorithm are doomed to obscurity, irrelevance, and a lack of advertising revenue. Hence why so much YouTube content is samey clickbait.

Hi,

the most thing that baffled me, the drawings on the wall ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 88
Yeah, I know this video ain't aimed at me, but... am I the only one sick to the rafters with "XYZ Thing You've Never Heard Of!" when I have four books on the subject?

I have a ton of books about things I, and the rest of the world, have never heard of. Where have you been?

The Dark Skies channel and similar channels are largely made up of stock footage and photos and drawings found using Google Image Search. The producers never seem to ask for permission to use the content. Stuff Scott published, things posted here, pop up without credits fairly often.

The voiceover is the only original part.

As someone who works in publishing, this sort of criminal behavior needs to be exposed. Permission is required - always. Correct attribution is required.

Yep, it always makes me wonder just how little real info i will get from watching it. As a passionate lover of nature, especially mammals, birds & dinosaurs, i see that regularly there too.

The Windsor obscure? I knew about the Windsor when I was 12 years old... it made it into David Mondey's The Hamlyn Concise Guide to British Aircraft of World War II published in 1982 (my copy was the 1995 reprint). I probably never came across the YB-60 until about 2001.
Ah those halcyon pre-internet days when you had to rely on a decent author to include lesser known gems in their works in order to learn about them.

Ah those halcyon pre-internet days when you had to rely on a decent author to include lesser known gems in their works in order to learn about them.

Bill Gunston's books were a good source.

It's not an "un-heard of" bomber here in Fort Worth. I know at least one local diner that has pictures of it. I'd say it's "un-heard of" only if you've not been paying attention. If I remember correctly, I read about it sometime in the late Sixties in an edition of "American Combat Planes" by Ray Wagner/

It's not an "un-heard of" bomber here in Fort Worth. I know at least one local diner that has pictures of it. I'd say it's "un-heard of" only if you've not been paying attention. If I remember correctly, I read about it sometime in the late Sixties in an edition of "American Combat Planes" by Ray Wagner/

That's the problem with many of these more popular youtubers, is that it's somehow apparently ('it's' being the 'bet you never heard of/knew of/read this') successful to get clicks...somehow. That and those annoying arrows and red circles.

That's the problem with many of these more popular youtubers, is that it's somehow apparently ('it's' being the 'bet you never heard of/knew of/read this') successful to get clicks...somehow. That and those annoying arrows and red circles.

annoyingredcircles.jpg

I did some research and this is what helped kill the YB-60: it was slow and lacked payload/range.

I remember reading some book about US bombers in the Cold War by a British author. He made an interesting point: the quick-and-dirty, cheap approach of the B-60 design, which Convair also proposed could have been converted from existing B-36 bombers, would have had an appeal for almost any air force except the United States. With so many B-36 airframes around, it could have been a real time- and money-saver. Basically, the RAF would have gone with the B-60 if it had been in a similar position; that was his thesis.