The Shepherd - the film! (?)

shedofdread

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
There's a very credible rumour / big hints being dropped that there's a film of Frederick Forsyth's 'The Shepherd' currently being made and if the hints prove true, it will be released at Christmas (well, when else?).

However, if tales incorporating the supernatural are not your thing, just remember; it'll be more believable than Top Gun2! ;)

All I will say is I think it's not necessarily a story that will do well in that medium, being a small intimate piece. I will wish the film makers luck though. If they can pull it off it will be someting special.

Devastating production mistake #1 has already been made. John Travolta is in the lead role. Either the de Havilland Vampire pilot is now an American, or we're going to watch the horror of seeing "Vinnie Barbarino" attempt a British accent.

Have not found anything about the Travolta project on IMDb but did find someone using MS Flight simulator to act out the story and an animated short film someone made about two years ago I'd never heard of before. So to calm nerves, here they are...

The Shephard (MS Flight Sim version)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RviWjVeRSFk

The Shephard (Animated short film.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-ILCXGyxQ

Of course if anyone can dig up the Chris Foss artwork that was used for the interior illustrations of some early editions I'd be eternally grateful...

Oh dear.... Whilst Travolta is an aviation enthusiast (so can't be all bad ;) ) he's all wrong for that role. If anything, his age should preclude him from that role.

The East Anglian Daily Times write that he is "starring" in the film but surely he's directing? He's old enough to be the grandfather of the pilot for goodness sake.

As I recall (it's been a while) the story doesn't have a lot of dialogue, so a british voiceover would work. Travolta in a flying helmet and oxygen mask could pass for the pilot, I think.. so there may be hope yet.

Hard to imagine where any real acting is required from memory. About the only walking and talking bit is at the end where the Vampire pilot has landed on fumes and walks into the 'mess' wondering why there was no welcoming committee from an airbase that is basically closed.

Looks to be in production for Disney+ based on the producer's resume.

Remember that Travolta has been a plane nut for ages and is a fairly experienced private pilot. So maybe this is just his way to get someone else to pay for some copilot time in a Mosquito.

I know about the cover Foss did for the book, but there's also an edition of it where he did the interior illustrations, but not in his cover art style, but rather the style he used for the illustrated book 'Diary of a Spaceperson', that makes it much rarer. The print editions you find nowadays use illustrations by a US artist Lou Feck...

I know about the cover Foss did for the book, but there's also an edition of it where he did the interior illustrations, but not in his cover art style, but rather the style he used for the illustrated book 'Diary of a Spaceperson', that makes it much rarer. The print editions you find nowadays use illustrations by a US artist Lou Feck...
Abebooks is lousy with 'em, mostly available from the UK or Oz. Books are cheap... shipping is expensive.

Every Christmas with one or two exceptions the CBC News show "As It Happens" has since 1979 played an audio recording of The Shepard.
Performed by the now late Alan Maitland it is a classic.I think it is currently available on YouTube.

There was an RAF pilot killed over France but his aircraft was found a bit north of his base suspended in tree's, having run out of fuel. Cannot find this online but I recall this happening while on a "Rhubarb" mission.

There were two conflated fortress mishaps: Cat O Nine Tails crashed but a second did make it back...one wing digging in a bit. Skeptoid had it that the two events were misremembered as one, so I read here months ago?

One of my best read as a kid (and I did read all Mermoz, St Ex(upery) and more...

Travolta would definitely do the best Mosquito pilot Hollywood can pull in. Being a fairly known popular actor, the young public will easily read his facial expressions, what could ease the story greatly.

On from 1st December on Disney+. Poster for the film is pants, but trailer looks OK, It looks as if Mr Travolta has a non speaking part. I suspect Frederick Forsyth has given his n lessing. They have used a Empire FB5 painted up as an aircraft from 94 Sqn at Celle and the Mosquito FBII based at East Kirby and presably some CGI

Thanks to this forum, I have come to know of the story, and had tried to listen to the audio book found on Youtube every Christmas season .....

TheShepherdPostermainShortbig591.webp

Movie is Good. As mentioned above, last time I read the story, I was a kid, so can't really assert anymore the fidelity of the script to the book but the end result was there: inspirational, emotional with a bit of well suited airplane gimmick.

But the book is so short that I would suggest having any kids reading the story first to not loose that experience that so many across the ages have shared before.

Last edited:
Just watched it myself. Very good - they kept a close focus on the story without adding car chases and explosions. Recommended.