The SA 4000 bomb

Larshaas2108

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
i once saw it in the german munitions and explosives document from the US army, i've wondered ever since what it exactly is and what happened with it?
it even get's mentioned on wikipedia.
1665105124785.png

i once saw it in the german munitions and explosives document from the US army, i've wondered ever since what it exactly is and what happened with it?
View attachment 684994

We have an existing thread here: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...m-storage-facility-stafford.10208/#post-95686

The thread title calls it a radiological (dirty bomb) but there's no evidence for that. It was to have been a large (4000-kg) thin-wall demolition bomb that never saw much if any use.

Ick: A surfeit of kinship with the big 'mines' parachuted onto our area during NW Blitz...

Upside, if not contact-fused, but intended to lurk and complicate 'Civil Defence', they were too big to routinely misplace, usually got 'disposed' before their clocks ran down...

Down-side, the small and medium bombs had a remarkable ability to vanish under random rubble...

About two decades ago, the 'cable guys' back-hoe trenching soft verge near here got a 'clanger'. That ~100kg bomb had found the only muddy wallow / clay-delf in what had been a considerable expanse of shallow fields atop our infertile sandstone ridge, managed to bury itself for posterity.

Much 'sucking of teeth' and consultation of old maps: Ah, so its bomb-run had been this-away rather than that-away, and several long-fallow 'lots' suddenly became viable development propositions...

View attachment 684994

We have an existing thread here: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...m-storage-facility-stafford.10208/#post-95686

The thread title calls it a radiological (dirty bomb) but there's no evidence for that. It was to have been a large (4000-kg) thin-wall demolition bomb that never saw much if any use.
i made this thread because i didn't believe it is a dirty bomb, from what i read just a very big bomb.

View attachment 684994

i made this thread because i didn't believe it is a dirty bomb, from what i read just a very big bomb.

On this site, we generally keep the conversation about one system in a single thread (or at least try to). If the subject line is wrong, it can be edited.

In this case, I think the conversation in that thread does a pretty good job of making it clear that it's probably not a radiological bomb.

It is what is classified as Luftmine. Just a bomb not intended to penetrate before explosion, but work only through blast. See:

SA-4000 is mentioned in German section.

Last edited: