Vinyl is back in a big way but you need serious moolah to get proper results and clarity. Sorry, Moolah = cash, dosh or money in English, moolah is rhyming from sarf (South) London for anyone not acquainted.

As I type this, my parent collection of 45 years old vinyls stand nearby - Cat Stevens, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkel... they are in excellent shape, unfortunately the goddam reader, also 45 years old, is screwed.

A relative recently bought a vinyl record player - new. In any case, good speakers are still required. I know the Japanese put out a vinyl record player for old records that dispensed with the needle. The grooves were read by a low-power laser that would not damage them. The laser turntable is made by ELP Corporation, Japan

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't miss vinyl. The only thing I miss is the large artwork. Especially now that we can download digital music as it was recorded at the board as an uncompressed WAV or FLAC file. The only vinyl I have are albums that weren't going to be released on CD (And some still haven't been released on CD or digitally) and part of a vinyl club I was in last year because a lot of bands I like were releasing music that was only going to be on the vinyl. They ended up releasing it all digitally, so I have many new albums I will never listen to. I do have the nice large artwork, though.

I have to say that I was never able to use the vinyl reader myself. I left that to my elder sisters or my parents.

Because we were very mischevious kids, my sister had found how to play 45 rpm into 33 and the other way around. We did that with low quality, shitty music 45 rpm disks. Not with good music.
Things like playing The Schmurfs credit song on a 45 rpm vinyl to 33 rpm. The singer sang so slowly with such a weird voice it was if he / she was brain damaged.

In the US, manufacturers of CD players did not want to deal with anyone being able to keep their vinyl records. The first packaging attempts for CDs wasted a lot of card stock to give people some art. Like VHS tape players going obsolete for DVD players, the only goal is/was to get people to spend money on the latest gadget. Downloading music has zero appeal for me. They can keep it.