• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

The rare and wacky U.S. aeroplanes of yesteryear...

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

SeaslugMk2

'Curator' of the Seaslug website.
Reaction score
Website
www.littlewars.org
That was an attempt at building a "Penguin" trainer for aspiring seaplane pilots.
Since the trainer could never climb out of ground effect, it could never fall far enough to kill its pilot.
Numerous "penguin" trainers were built during World War 1, though ,most were just worn out airplanes with cropped wings. They were used to teach student pilots the basics of stick-and-rudder on the ground.
I'll wager it could have a try if it could go fast enough.

SRJ.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
That was an attempt at building a "Penguin" trainer for aspiring seaplane pilots.
Since the trainer could never climb out of ground effect, it could never fall far enough to kill its pilot.
Numerous "penguin" trainers were built during World War 1, though ,most were just worn out airplanes with cropped wings. They were used to teach student pilots the basics of stick-and-rudder on the ground.
I'll wager it could have a try if it could go fast enough.

SRJ.

Penguins were often powered by worn out airplane engines that were on their last gasp. ... so could never climb high enough to kill a student pilot.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Flying magazine 1941/12,

here is a radical twin engined light monoplane;

A.C. Johnson, Long Beach CA.

1941 = 2pClwM; two 80hp Johnson-designed motors in tandem in a split nacelle, facing one another. Almost a low-winged Seabee look to it, little was documented about this radical tractor-pusher design, and the theory of two opposite-turning propellers face-to-face a foot apart leaves one wondering.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.png
    2.png
    377.4 KB · Views: 33