The Queen's Speech we never had to hear

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Back in 1983 civil servants prepared a speech for the Queen to make during a war in which nuclear attack by the Soviet Union appeared imminent.

Fortunately Her Majesty was never called upon to deliver such words. May we hope that King Charles is never called upon to do do.

Was it "We are on one's yacht nice and safe, heading to my Dominions in the Southern Hemisphere, so long suckers..."

Sucks to be you , I’ll call next year?

Was it "We are on one's yacht nice and safe, heading to my Dominions in the Southern Hemisphere, so long suckers..."
Neville Shute's rather odd novel "In the Wet" has the Queen move to Australia in an alt-1980s. Though she is dodging a Labour Government rather than Soviet nukes. In his later novel "On the Beach" HM does not get a mention.
Peter Hennessy suggests that Britannia was supposed to hide in Scottish waters so that the Queen could remain in nominal charge of any government that survived.
Other members of the vast Royal Family however may well have fled the coop.

Sucks to be you , I’ll call next year?
you clearly know more about the likely outcome of World War3 than HM Government. Not sure who she would call a year later. The Taoiseach?

David Weber's series has London and other large UK cities destroyed suddenly in an alien attack - the only surviving member(s) of the Royal family are Harry, Meghan, and their kids (they were vacationing in a rural area of Africa, and thus survived the world-wide attack), so he becomes King!

Out of the Dark is an alien invasion science fiction novel by David Weber released by Tor Books on September 28, 2010.
A sequel, titled Into the Light, was published more than a decade later in January 2021.
The third book in the series, To Challenge Heaven is expected to be released in January of 2024.