The Project Cancelled SIG Telford SMW2011 Display: A Post show pictorial review

O

Overkiller

The Project Cancelled SIG (Special Interest Group) is a group of modellers who are dedicated to the modelling of unbuilt aircraft, ships, armoured vehicles and spacecraft. The remit of the SIG also covers prototypes and testbeds. All of our builds are carefully researched, often from primary sources. For display purposes, we often display the models alongside copies of our reference materials. As a group, we seek to develop strong ties with various historical reseach and archiving groups such as the various "Heritage" museums and with the various authors of "project" related books, such as Tony Buttler and Chris Gibson.

This year the SIG put on a display at the annual Scale Model World show held in Telford, England. On the Saturday we had both Chris Gibson and Tony Buttler as guests on our stand. This year' theme was "British Cancelled Projects since 1945", I include a link to my photobucket album of display pictures.

Project Cancelled Display Pictures

A note: I am not a professional photographer, I do not use an expensive camera, nor can I be bothered to lug round a tripod. Car boot space is for important stuff, like kits. I have endeavoured to be as comprehensive as possible in my coverage, but it is possible I have missed something, so please accept my apologies in advance, any ommissions are by accident, not design.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Cheers

Duncan

Very nice. It would have been a pleasure to see that in person.

Never heard of the Avro Type 721 before. Looks like a rather funky design.

Kryptid said:

One of my favourites, since I got my hands on Derek Woods book ! ;)

Attachments

• Avro-721_01.gif
    Avro-721_01.gif
    60.5 KB · Views: 573
  • Avro-721_02.gif
    Avro-721_02.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 583
  • Avro-721_03.gif
    Avro-721_03.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 577
Jemiba said:
Kryptid said:

One of my favourites, since I got my hands on Derek Woods book ! ;)

Yes, it is a favourite of mine too.

The 721 model I made last year, using a VEB 1/100 scale Trident fuselage as a basis. I hope to redo that model in the near future, based on significantly more detailed information provided by the Avro Heritage Foundation.

On a different tack, next year's theme was decided as "Influences", so the models shall be taken from a wide variety of sources, so that gives a wide scope for projects from various nations, Soviet (for which I have a great interest), American, European and indeed, from around the world.

You may note a rather aero and naval heavy bias to the display, it would be nice if we could get some armour modellers who would be interested in doing some of the various armoured vehicle designs.

cheers

Duncan

Hi folks.
I try not to take up space on this fine forum with postings that are just gushing praise but the combination of the model photos plus the drawings of the Avro Type 721 are just sublime. I never knew the Type 721 came in composite form, and finding such fine drawings / model-shots of an Avro slip-wing jet bomber has made my day.
Many, many thanks.
Cheers, Wingknut.

Hi,

is there a complete and good photo of the Avro 721 model from the Avro Heritage Centre (and not from Photobucket) ?

Photofuckit strikes again! How NOT to treat past, current, and prospective customers!

You work with them for years, paying a reasonable amount of money for the service. Then, after you spent countless hours uploading your photos to that host; then, one fine day, those ass-clowns jerk up the price, and hold your files and folders hostage for the new 'payment re-structuring'.

Extorsion!

And what a blow to any meaningful use of your photos at forums like this. So many WIP's and threads rendered meaningless today because those A-holes at photobucket shut down accounts whose owners would not pay the ransom.

There! Secure from rant. #photobucketkissmyballs.com

(sorry, overkill)

David