"The Pioneers of Stealth" by John M. Griffin

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I just received a copy of "The Pioneers of Stealth", by John M. Griffin. I had never heard of it, either because it hasn't been publicized, or because it looks self-published. The only mention i found of it was in Graham Warwick's podcast here

http://aviationweek.com/technology/podcast-how-stealth-technology-changed-world

Apparently there is an association called Pioneers of Stealth (with the unfortunate acronym POS), and the members have all worked on Stealth. The book is a compendium of short stories by the association members, each writing 2-3 pages, for a total of over 360+ pages.
Frankly i hadn't heard many of the names, but you will find some household names like Sherm Mullin, Bob Sandusky, Ben Rich, Hal Farley, Denys Overholser, Liu Yuping, and Irv Waaland.

I'm trying to find it on amazon and i came up empty - maybe it will show up later? I got an early copy, gifted to me by one of the contributors. I will update this once i read some of the book. So far it looks very nice, and unusual because it's told from the engineers and pilots point of view.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I'd love to know how to buy a copy :)
I will definitely second that, especially after all the time I spent at Northrop on those kinds of programs.

Here's the cover, table of contents, and one random page to give a sense of the contents.
One thing that struck me was the comparatively small number of pictures. It's chock full of oral history, but fairly light on illustrations.
I will ask the person who gifted me the book how others might buy it.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 513
  • TOC_1.jpg
    TOC_1.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 491
  • random page.jpg
    random page.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 470
For those with interlibrary loan access, one copy is available at the Wright State University library. It was published by Lulu, a self-published/ print on demand source. It is not listed by them (that I could find) as available for sale through them.

I am assuming this is going to be pretty difficult if not impossible to get in the UK. Absolutely no sign of it on Amazon UK.

I got an update from a friend:
"I don't know the status of the book. As this point, it is only available to actual members of the "Pioneers of Stealth". I pre-ordered two copies about a year ago when it was "in work". I can send John an email and ask. He may want to make all the fixes, and publish a second edition. He really wanted the book available for the POS reunion this year, I think that is why there are so many errors."

The errors he's referring to are typos and mislabeling of pictures. It was pretty obvious that the book- maybe because it's self-published and intended for a restricted audience - didn't go through an extensive proof-read. It comes with an errata sheet.

Does anyone know if there is any helicopter-related topics in this book? It seems to be the side of Stealth/LO that remains hidden in the shadows.

500 Fan.