The Nuclear Deterrent

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Between 1945 and 1991 the existence of nuclear weapons held by the US and then by the US and Soviet Union prevented their leaders from commiting their forces to fight each other. They did not prevent war as Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan showed, but Soviet and US armies never met in battle.
For nuclear weapons to deter, political leaders need to be rational. A Royal Air Force in 1939 able to flatten German cities would not have detered Hitler from his insane schemes.
Since the Cold War a growing number of individuals and political movements have emerged who do not seem afraid of the use of nuclear weapons.
Faced with such an opponent if your convenional forces cannot defend territory or allies, you may one day be forced to use nuclear weapons before or after they do. We are in a much worse place than Kennedy and Kruschev.

I agree that it helped that the leaders on both sides knew the horrors of World War 2.
It is significant that politicians born after WW2 have been much more relaxed about sending young people to fight their wars.

I agree that it helped that the leaders on both sides knew the horrors of World War 2.
It is significant that politicians born after WW2 have been much more relaxed about sending young people to fight their wars.
That’s highly debatable and is rather impacted by the specific context of a given conflict and the personalities of particular politicians.
For example Korea, Vietnam, China Civil War, various India/ Pakistan and various “end of empire” and other conflicts short and long were waged at terrible cost by leaders of a generation born before WW2.
And generally speaking those leaders probably had rather more scope to wage ongoing bloody: “messy” colonial-style “small scale” conflicts with more compliant/ “managed” media and other stakeholders than most of their modern equivalents.
And the approx. coincidence/alignment of the end of the Cold War (with increased instability) and the natural generational transfer of power to leaders born post-war leaders is probably more of a significant factor.

If I could hand wave all fissile material off Earth's surface to a depth of 300 miles...and put it in a nice lunar reactor system for power beaming...I think more conventional wars would happen-less proxy wars. Commerce is more a restraint now-against attacking China.

Neville Chamberlain was attracted to the economic savings to be had if Britain could use the RAF to deter potential opponents instead of building up credible land and naval forces.
Sadly when faced with someone not at all afraid of the impacts of air bombardment Chamberlain revealed he was very afraid.
Postwar British governments were attracted to using nuclear weapons to deter war rather than build up costly conventional forces.
A consensus has existed since 1991 amongst British politicians that a single Trident submarine is a better deterrent than conventional forces able to resist an opponent.
As Ukraine demonstrates day after day we are like Neville Chamberlain deterred by our own deterrent. Sadly we have again found an opponent who is n't.

We are certainly in interesting times.

And definitely a series of assumptions underlie the balance and composition of UK military forces.
Assumptions that seem to have fallen apart and may yet fall apart further. From exiting the EU, the China problem, to current events in the East of Europe.

In context of current events, defence is back on the agenda. But in essence my conclusion "we've got your back Poland and Germany " seems the right course militarily. I have a strong suspicion we will fund Polish re-armament, in what might be called the Prussian Option (from a British perspective). Essentially resurrecting a major power on the Eastern side of Northern Europe.

It's arguable the we should increase the Deterrent. Currently reliance on the US is yet another assumption.....

I have a suspicion we may yet see a certain state breach the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty. As much to prove their weapons work, as to intimidate. This will throw things into stark relief.

And that's always the forgotten element in nuclear weapons. That their lifespan is limited, by the very nature of what they are constituted from. Keeping things working is the hidden task. Unglamorous and dull, but essential.