Boeing Orca Extra-Large Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (XLUUV)

I personally would not want to mark my exact location with a breaching weapon. I’d be more interested in a mk48 with electric propulsion for reduced noise and extended range at slow speed settings.

But I think the future for USN undersea warfare is the SSN more as a remote sensor/effector delivery and management systems (both static bottom/moored and UUVs) with traditional torpedoes becoming more of a secondary weapon for ASW.

Broke: SUBROC.
Woke: swarms of supercavitating torps homing on a contact. Yes, it is a glaring sonar signal, but you cant evade it anyway.
Best: revive Sea Lance with Mk54.
Dunno about swarms of Shkvals, but yes. A supercavitating torpedo would be wicked.

I personally would not want to mark my exact location with a breaching weapon.
If you're far enough away that the broaching weapon is your best option for a fast shot, it's tolerable. But you still GTFO as soon as it launches.

I’d be more interested in a mk48 with electric propulsion for reduced noise and extended range at slow speed settings.
Mk48 already has pretty good range at its low speed setting. It's supposedly got a swim-out mode, too, but I'm not sure how well that works with as tight as they fit in the tube. The Ohio turbine impulse pump was pretty quiet.

But I think the future for USN undersea warfare is the SSN more as a remote sensor/effector delivery and management systems (both static bottom/moored and UUVs) with traditional torpedoes becoming more of a secondary weapon for ASW.
That still requires stealthy comms underwater, which isn't easy to do.

The alternative is noisy coms and just put them everywhere. If it is just a buoy, what can anyone do to destroy it? A torpedo isn’t going to work or be cost effective even if it did. Depth charges?

The alternative is noisy coms and just put them everywhere. If it is just a buoy, what can anyone do to destroy it? A torpedo isn’t going to work or be cost effective even if it did. Depth charges?
Muraena 30mm gun mast on the sub, door gun on helicopters, etc.

I suspect any sensors laid by the USN are full submerged. The only thing in the old SeaWeb experiments that was above water were the radio gateway buoys. All of the sensors and acoustic repeaters were moored or on the seabed. Communication is likely handled by UUVs, possibly gliders, offloading data at regular intervals. Or else SSNs directly connected to a node in the network.

Last edited: