The interlude/theme music you are touched by

My beloved wife was a skilled musician (viola), with complementary tastes for Classical Concertos, well-crafted ballads and Richter-grade Rock. I swear her vast speakers registered latter on local seismometers. I was limited to humming (off-key) a bunch of Sixties folk-ish songs. The Seekers, naturally. Plus some instrumentals such as The Shadows' covers, Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' etc. IIRC, the only vinyl LP I ever bought for myself was the Karelia suite, but I never did find the fun bit used for current affairs program intro...

To accompany that viola, I taught myself enough music theory to wrangle a MIDI suite. Hooked up her electronic piano to a high-end 'Soundblaster' card with sundry sound-fonts, drove them with 'Cakewalk Home Studio' to excellent effect...

But, Justin Hayward's 'War of the Worlds' hooked both of us. 'The Eve of the War', of course, of course. And, yes, 'Forever Autumn', which I played at her funeral, reducing all to tears. For play-out, Gerry Marsden's inimitable 'Ferry cross the Mersey'...

IIRC, the only vinyl LP I ever bought for myself was the Karelia suite, but I never did find the fun bit used for current affairs program intro...

[ snip ]
It's the Intermezzo. There is a low quality version on YouTube which had been recorded from B&W television and included the ITV station ident; I had the audio on my old phone as a ringtone and it annoyed my team in my last job!

SRJ.

Near the end of the road for them Dire Straits got a grandiose finale before breaking up: a mammoth two years tour in 1992-93.

The end result was that album "On the night".
First CD ever in my parent's home !

My favorite one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJf9KgUzJnM

Dire Straits surely had one gifted saxophonist... !

This album has had a peculiar effect on me: having started with the live, vibrant, stretched songs, I could never - and still cannot - listen the album / radio variants. They just feel and fall flat. Even as background in The West wing or The Americans...

And as bonus for a space nerd, it has the VLA antenna(s) on the cover. What's not to like ??!!!