The French Brandt Pneumatic Gun . 1915

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
In 1915 Edgar Brandt designed a portable pneumatic 60 mm howitzer, which he presented to the military authorities. Satisfied, the staff requested 500 pieces for the front where they were appreciated on the ground. Although called "howitzer", this weapon was muzzle-loaded, like a mortar. Type A – Model 1915 was 1.30 m long, its advantage was its pneumatic propulsion mode, without detonation or smoke, capable of firing a shell the size of a large grenade up to 400 m about,. This concept allowed the implementation of lightened ammunition requiring neither casing nor supply of propellant charges. The improved Type B - Model 1916, measured only one meter and weighed 17 kilos instead of 22 kilos of the Model 1915, a pressure of 20 kg allowed it to reach a maximum firing range of 585 m. Following these improvements, the staff ordered 3,000 pieces to equip its combat units.-(http://www.musee-chevau.org/produits/obusier-de-tranchee-pneumatique-brandt-de-60mm-1ere-partie-645).

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 22
Any of these get pressed into service for avalanche duty? An old recoiless rifle shared duty with something similar before air-dropped charges took over. There was doubt about snowslides weaponized in the Tyrolian Alps-but this might allow their use-the charge's report thought part of the slide's noise.

I think that Switzerland and the Italians did something similar in the First World War

Hrm. Completely pneumatic, as opposed to the Dynamite guns used in the Spanish-American war that used a small powder charge to drive an air piston to launch the shell.

Some of these pressed into service for avalanche control---like the recoiless?

Now only choppers are used. Any truth to avalanches used as weapons in WWI...or bogus?

Some of these pressed into service for avalanche control---like the recoiless?

Now only choppers are used. Any truth to avalanches used as weapons in WWI...or bogus?
It wouldn't surprise me if some deliberate avalanches were used in wars, but it's so conditional as to whether the snow is right it's hard to say if any actually were.

Oh, and I think a modern version of this is used on Snoqualmie pass in Washington state for avalanche control. Big pneumatic guns throwing dynamite charges up the hill, instead of trying to fuss with modern artillery. (The railroad in Alaska uses a 105mm artillery gun!)

Back
Top Bottom