Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook

First thing I've seen saying both ESSM and CAMMS
Camm is relatively cheaper and expendable as compared to ESSM.
ESSM blk 2 will, on the other hand, free SM2 for longer range interceptions if its own duties on shorter ranges are taken over by Camm.

Why does everything need a new acronym these days? Its an LST.

Surprised this only has accommodation for 75 Marines on a ship 200-400ft long displacing 4,000 tons (I assume this would be full load). Most classic bow ramp LSTs could accommodate 300+ troops, admittedly in poor conditions over short distances. I guess this LAW would be able to cram in more than 75 troops for assaults and the 75 is for luxury conditions crossing long-distances.

15kts seems no problem, LSTs like the Nomed class of the late 1980s were achieving 16kts on diesel power. Quite a few LSTs of that era packed numerous 40-30mm mounts plus helipads on that kind of size and tonnage. I would have thought this would be a reasonably easy programme to develop and build.

Surprised this only has accommodation for 75 Marines on a ship 200-400ft long displacing 4,000 tons (I assume this would be full load). Most classic bow ramp LSTs could accommodate 300+ troops, admittedly in poor conditions over short distances. I guess this LAW would be able to cram in more than 75 troops for assaults and the 75 is for luxury conditions crossing long-distances.

15kts seems no problem, LSTs like the Nomed class of the late 1980s were achieving 16kts on diesel power. Quite a few LSTs of that era packed numerous 40-30mm mounts plus helipads on that kind of size and tonnage. I would have thought this would be a reasonably easy programme to develop and build.
Pack them with HIMARS for inland strike

Navy testing a Railgun at Dahlgren again. Which one, and what the objectives are, is unknown. The BAE gun was moved to White Sands early last year for longer-range shots and to develop its autoloader, there's been little discussion of its test program since then and not indication it would be brought back. So leading candidate would be the GA gun, though what it's been up to since last year is also unknown. There's an outside chance this could be a new gun, but there's been no official budget line item for a new one since the 2 existing prototypes were delivered.

Pack them with HIMARS for inland strike
Why not build a modern rocket ship?

We are going to see massive cuts to defense spending IMHO
This move has little to do with greater trends in spending and more with trying to smack the Navy civilian and uniform leadership into shape. Congress has, to their credit, made their desire for a well-articulated strategy+plan to support it clear.

We are going to see massive cuts to defense spending IMHO
This move has little to do with greater trends in spending and more with trying to smack the Navy civilian and uniform leadership into shape. Congress has, to their credit, made their desire for a well-articulated strategy+plan to support it clear.
I hope that's all it is. I don't have high hopes. We should already have the cruiser variant of Zumwalt under construction, if not have floated a couple.

I hope that's all it is. I don't have high hopes. We should already have the cruiser variant of Zumwalt under construction, if not have floated a couple.

That is what appears to be the case. Also, it's not like the Navy was getting ready to cut steel with a $45 million dollar request for R&D for the class.

As the Hypersonic threats increase not only is there a call for Vertical Gun Systems able to put ordnance into near space, but also a ElectroMagnetic Missile Launcher (EMML) to give missiles high altitude before starting their rocket engine.

As the Hypersonic threats increase not only is there a call for Vertical Gun Systems able to put ordnance into near space, but also a ElectroMagnetic Missile Launcher (EMML) to give missiles high altitude before starting their rocket engine.
large enough for large counter-Hypersonic/Hypersonic msles, next generation EMTC guns, next generation DEW (likely PBW ie KE effects from DE-requires a reactor), EM based surface and subsurface barriers, numbers of UAVs (armed swarms of size /range).

Navy testing a Railgun at Dahlgren again. Which one, and what the objectives are, is unknown. The BAE gun was moved to White Sands early last year for longer-range shots and to develop its autoloader, there's been little discussion of its test program since then and not indication it would be brought back. So leading candidate would be the GA gun, though what it's been up to since last year is also unknown. There's an outside chance this could be a new gun, but there's been no official budget line item for a new one since the 2 existing prototypes were delivered.
An autoloader for a railgun should be pretty simple as long as it uses a conventional chamber, shouldn't it? Hell, does it even have a traditional breechblock? With no pressure to contain and no propellant, it should just be a matter of dropping a fresh round into place and pushing it into the chamber...almost more like a rifle bolt than an artillery piece.

An autoloader for a railgun should be pretty simple as long as it uses a conventional chamber, shouldn't it? Hell, does it even have a traditional breechblock? With no pressure to contain and no propellant, it should just be a matter of dropping a fresh round into place and pushing it into the chamber...almost more like a rifle bolt than an artillery piece.
I think you might've confuser railgun with gauss cannon. Common railgun has quite a pressure buildbup when firing.

DDG-1000 from the deckhouse back, clipper bow with single unknown gun and big VLS up front. Least that's the impression the image gives.