Super Skyray

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Funny what will pop into my head on a date. My lady is usually understanding of the fact that her boyfriend's an airplane fiend. So thankfully, carrying a pen and writing my ideas on bar napkins doesn't weird her out. Or I'd be in trouble.

So without further ado.........

I came up with an updated Skyray.

It's going to be twin-engined and somewhat bigger than the original Skyray. But the intake arrangement is very similar to an F-111's with inlet cones. the LERX would be a straight-edge as compared to say, a Super Hornet. For the a powerplant, I was thinking something along the lines of two GE 404's, just like a Hornet. The armament suite as well capabilities would essentially be the same as a Hornet's as well.

Basically the premise would be that there is no F/A-18. But with my design you would get an excellent carrier based interceptor as well a good fighter-bomber.

Now what do guys think?

XP67_Moonbat said:
It's going to be twin-engined and somewhat bigger than the original Skyray. But the intake arrangement is very similar to an F-111's with inlet cones. the LERX would be a straight-edge as compared to say, a Super Hornet. For the a powerplant, I was thinking something along the lines of two GE 404's, just like a Hornet. The armament suite as well capabilities would essentially be the same as a Hornet's as well.

Sounds like a twin engine F-16XL or an F-18XL... or considering the inlet cones a Northrop P-530XL...

XP67_Moonbat said:
Funny what will pop into my head on a date. My lady is usually understanding of the fact that her boyfriend's an airplane fiend. So thankfully, carrying a pen and writing my ideas on bar napkins doesn't weird her out. Or I'd be in trouble.

So without further ado.........

I came up with an updated Skyray.

Basically the premise would be that there is no F/A-18. But with my design you would get an excellent carrier based interceptor as well a good fighter-bomber.

Now what do guys think?

Give it a few days and I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulls an old concept out of their stash and says "you mean like this one?" ;)

Back
Top Bottom