Sukhoi Su-44 multi-role combat aircraft

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Artist's impression of the Sukhoi Su-44 multi-role combat aircraft by Pavel Shiktin, published on the back cover of the Russian Aviatsiya N°9 (2001).

Attachments

• Su-44.png
    Su-44.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Matej said:
Wasn't it a fake?
it was what-if from Aviation&Cosmonautics magazine

Since this conceptual fictional aircraft was derived from the Su-47 Berkut, would it have been officially designated Su-48? Su-37IB for Istrebitel Bombardirovshchik or "fighter bomber"? Was this aircraft supposed to feature LO and/or stealth features?

DonaldM said:
Was this aircraft supposed to feature LO and/or stealth features?

With all those different an not aligned angles, I think not !
BTW, the nose seems not really to be Su-34 derived, if you have a look at the gap between
the radom and the cockpit section, forming another edge !

Donald - frankly, I can't understand what the sense to discuss someone's fanart with scientific approach? What LO features? What designation? Come to the seriousness side, we have cookies.

flateric said:
Donald - frankly, I can't understand what the sense to discuss someone's fanart with scientific approach? What LO features? What designation? Come to the seriousness side, we have cookies.

Just having fun discussing what I presume to be a speculative fighter-bomber design based on the Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut. Plus, I don't have the Aviation & Cosmonautics magazine that contains the article by Pavel Shiktin. I presume that some thinking went into this speculative design and I was curious about any details that members might share about it. I presume that this is more than just one of those scribbles that are found on Deviantart.

I was also curious how Sukhoi determines it's aircraft designation numbers. All I know is that fighters have an odd number and that all other types are assigned an even number.

flateric said:
nope. it's just fanart. nothing more.

Do we have confirmation that the Su-44 project has nothing to do at all with Sukhoi's design bureau?

I find it strange that two respectable aviation magazines (Aviatsiya i Kosmonotika and Aviatsiya) both published the image.

Aviatsiya #9 described it as follows:

Attachments

• Su-44 caption.jpg
    Su-44 caption.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 715
Russian caption says:
"That's how artist Pavel Shitkin imagines a Su-44"

So that's just Eric Simonsen's style 'what-if'.

And do you really think that anyone will give a f** making Su-34 style strike aircraft with FSW (ergo - composite, ergo - going to be off the twig after first shot)? You should have to start your analysis right here.