Su-27KUB

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Andrei Fomin, Sukhoi are mulling a redesign of the Su-27KUB nose. The cockpit will be redesigned heavily to allow crew access through the canopy rather than through the nose wheel well. The cockpit view will be improved, advanced cockpit controls introduced and the right hand seat pilot will have a full set of controls (including engine controls). The Sokol radar should be replaced by the Irbis radar.

The hope is that China will order 60 SU-33K fighters and 40 Su-27KUB for their possible future carrier fleet.

Source:
Take-Off, July 2006 Farnborough International Edition.

overscan said:
According to Andrei Fomin, Sukhoi are mulling a redesign of the Su-27KUB nose. The cockpit will be redesigned heavily to allow crew access through the canopy rather than through the nose wheel well. The cockpit view will be improved, advanced cockpit controls introduced and the right hand seat pilot will have a full set of controls (including engine controls). The Sokol radar should be replaced by the Irbis radar.

The hope is that China will order 60 SU-33K fighters and 40 Su-27KUB for their possible future carrier fleet.

Source:

The long span Su-27KUB has always been something of a mystery to me. I can only assume that the larger wing offsets the greater empty weight?

Well, allegedly the empty weight of the Su-27KUB is very similar to the basic Su-27K. Perhaps it allows for more internal fuel and a heavier weapons load?

Wing and central part of the fuselage is wider and has different shape, because it was used from project Su-27KT for naval air tanker (1986 - 1987 period). The basic requirement for Su-27KT was bigger capacity of fuel and necessity to preserve wing loading and maximal landing speed on the same level as Su-27K/Su-33. Thus Su-27KUB/Su-33UB can carry more fuel than Su-33.

Here's a question, when did the Su-33UB get the thrust vectoring engines? And which model are they? They don't look like AL-41s, so I'm guessing they're some sort of AL-31F derivative.

According to my web ;D prototype Su-27KUB-1 has AL-31FP, however for serial machines were planned AL-41Fs.

And a little correction of my previous post:

The basis for all two seat variants was Su-27KU (Korabelnyj Ucebnoj). From it were derived specialized variants Su-27KRC/KRT (recconaissance, targeting), Su-27KPP (electronic warfare) and Su-27KTZ (air refueling).

TinWing said:
The long span Su-27KUB has always been something of a mystery to me. I can only assume that the larger wing offsets the greater empty weight?

Any idea, why this larger wing wasn't also choosen for the Su-34 ??

Cheers, Deino

Probably to keep the wing loading down for low-level flight. And probably because it was an earlier, pretty straight-forward (when you think about it) alteration of the basic FLANKER design anyway.

SOC said:
Probably to keep the wing loading down for low-level flight. And probably because it was an earlier, pretty straight-forward (when you think about it) alteration of the basic FLANKER design anyway.

Of course that still doesn't explain the strange "duck bill" radome of the Su-32/34?

overscan said:

Source:

Are there any pictures or models of that redesigned KUB ???

Cheers, Deino

overscan said:
Unfortunately not so far, no.

Hmmm ... I was digging around on my harddrive and found this CG !! Maybe something like that ???? (sorry, don't know the source)

Deino

Attachments

• kub11.jpg
    kub11.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 168