styropyro (Youtube channel)

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

It's all fun until someone burns an eye out! :eek:

I was paraphrasing the old saying about BB guns.

I see that he takes precautions but he still managed to accidentally burn dead spots into the CCD of his camera in the tattoo removal episode and showed that the included safety goggles would not have saved the machine user's eyes from the same fate. I would love to play with the stuff he works with, but respect for the preservation of my sight keeps me from going anywhere near any of it.

I would love to play with the stuff he works with, but respect for the preservation of my sight keeps me from going anywhere near any of it.

That's the beauty of lasers... you don't *have* to go anywhere near it. Someone can kindly beam it your way, free of charge and with no effort on your part.

Arthur C. Clarke's "The Light of Darkness" (1966)

A short synopsis by Melissa found here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33155386-the-light-of-darkness

"As a happenstance of geography, the Umbala region ruled by Chaka the All-Seeing, a ruthless tyrant, represents the perfect place to build the largest radio telescope on Earth. The prestige reinforced his megalomania, and left unchecked, his barbarism would only have escalated. One NASA technician took incapacitating Chaka into his own hands. Once Chaka ascended to a viewing platform of the Equatorial Deep Space Facility, the technician focused concentrated beams of light over several miles to fry his retinas. Having lost his mystique and title, Chaka abdicated."