Startram

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
:eek:

I'll let the gizmag article (via Slashdot) speak for itself: http://www.gizmag.com/startram-maglev-to-leo/21700/

Grey Havoc, thank you for posting this, very inspiring. Perhaps we should do something to make StarTre ... erm, SpaceTram less secret!

Reading through recent science and engineering news there seem to be many advances - some more than incremental - in magnetic (meta)materials, high temperature superconductivity, understanding related quantum phenomena, composites etc. potentially bringing down the projected construction and operating costs. Coincidentally, there are some space based energy generation ideas that could benefit the Earth greatly - transcend our capabilities, really (while keeping in mind Sagan's notions about terrestrial energy cycles ultimately having to be in thermodynamical balance) - but ostensibly require launch capabilities the humanity doesn't yet have.

Also, while I'm dubious about "general space enthusiasm" coming back or even being required as such, especially the entirely levitated Gen2 version of SpaceTram has a clarkean "advanced technology indistinguishable from magic" air about it (pun intended). To me, this - if brought into physical reality - would also quite curiously bring a very particular SciFi-technological tradition of shooting people into the stars starting with Verne's/Méliès' "A Trip to the Moon" a full circle.

SpaceTram also has its own website, btw.

Orionblamblam said:
How the hell is a thousand-mile-long magnetic cannon barrel held 20 kilometers up???

Quote:

This new requirement begs the question - how do we hold up the exit end of the Startram vacuum tube? Well, the tube already contains superconducting cable and rings. Powell and Maise realized that the tube could be magnetically levitated to this altitude. If we arrange that there is a superconducting cable on the ground carrying 200 million amperes, and a superconducting cable in the launch tube carrying 20 million amperes, at an altitude of 20 km there will be a levitating force of about 4 tons per meter of cable length - more than enough to levitate the launch tube.

Easy.

circle-5 said:
This new requirement begs the question - how do we hold up the exit end of the Startram vacuum tube? Well, the tube already contains superconducting cable and rings. Powell and Maise realized that the tube could be magnetically levitated to this altitude. If we arrange that there is a superconducting cable on the ground carrying 200 million amperes, and a superconducting cable in the launch tube carrying 20 million amperes, at an altitude of 20 km there will be a levitating force of about 4 tons per meter of cable length - more than enough to levitate the launch tube.

I missed that, thanks.

So, one good solar flare, and BLAM! Down comes a thousand kilometers of cannon barrel.

Orionblamblam said:
circle-5 said:

I missed that, thanks.

So, one good solar flare, and BLAM! Down comes a thousand kilometers of cannon barrel.
Solar flare or no, I have this nagging feeling that two hundred megamps is gonna be a shucking fitload of pain in the butt to produce and deal with.

the Startram vacuum tube need superconductor and loads of it.

only there no cheap superconductor and the existing are most expensive and need Helium to cool down...

There are superconductors that work at liquid-nitrogen temperatures, which is much cheaper than liquid helium.