SR-71A Ejection Seat

memUK25

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I thought you guys might be interested in my present restoration project it's a ejection seat from a 1966 SR-71A. The seat was later replaced with with the SR-1 type in 1968. It was heavily stripped when I bought it but I've been restoring the seat as suitable components become available.
The seat has dozens of "ADP" (Advanced Development Projects, SkunkWorks) inspection and function stamps. Many of the component serial numbers have the prefix "4AQ" or "AQ" the "4AQ" denotes SR-71A cockpit components, "AQ" denotes A-12 Cockpit components, and parts common to all Subsequent varients of the Blackbird family (except M-21.)

More information on the seat can be found here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41677561@N08/sets/72157624398155908/with/4690445153/

Since those pictures were taken i have bought and i'm presently installing,
Leg ramps (Both.)
right ball assembly for spur.
Right spur.
Right reel assembly for leg guard.
cables for above.
Seat actuator switch.
Main seat belt, harness and emergency release cable system.
Lower seat cushion.
Harness retention reel, release cable and manual retention handle.
Hydraulics and hose's for cable cutters (Underside assembly.)
All origional spec. screws, nut and bolts for the installation of the above parts.
Underside covers, plates and guards.

Also theres several Pictures of the seat here prior to cleaning and restoration;
http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/ejection_seat/a12_seat.html

Simon

Very cool project ;D

What are your plans for the final result?

Is this going to go on display somewhere or will it be the ultimate gaming chair? :D

Agree!

Very Cool!

I just saw a SR-71 TV show (think it was the "Great Planes" series here on US TV
on the Military Channel) where A SR RSO mentioned the ejection seat a little and
mentioned it was a Lockheed designed seat. He was actually the last USAF guy
to eject from an SR (think it was 1989). Cause was an engine seizure and I was
somewhat surpised that he went out after the pilot.

Very Nice Piece. I have in my collection a B-52D Pilot seat mostly complete (without the parachute back pack) sitting in my family room and a B-52H Pilot seat (bare bones) that I'm thinking of making into a fancy office chair sometime in the future.

Hi Guys,

My 10 year old daughter is using the seat at the moment as the ultimate game chair although its perminantly burried in clothes she isn't the most tidy of kids. I've just bought most of the missing parts i'll post a few new pictures on flickr later in the week.

Long-term i have no idea what to do with the seat any suggestions?

Thanks Simon