Specialty Press Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to condone piracy in any way, but I always figured that the proportion of people who actually ruled out forever buying stuff and go for copies alone have got to be a minority. When we had cassette tapes, I would go borrow many albums from the library and copy them... I had hundreds of tapes, but it never stopped me from buying the stuff I REALLY wanted. When I loved an aviation book, I used to photocopy the best parts, but if I really loved the book I eventually bought it. As for DVDs, copies do not bring the same enjoyment as the real thing and its packaging. And when we talk about scanned books, forget it. I don't like to read a book on a screen, and I think I'm not the only one. Those who really like books will continue to buy some, no matter what.

Just like the music I used to tape from the library, I believe that peer-to-peer done in a reasonable and discerning way is a way to expand one's knowledge in a cheap and space-friendly way. I DO have some aviation books in so-called "pirated" form that I would never have purchased otherwise, but it's easier to have them on my hard disk for reference than to call every aviation buff I know when I look for information (aviation libraries do not exist...). But I also have a couple of bookcases packed with aviation books and magazines which I purchased and treasured. Similarly I do have so-called "pirated" music that I would never have purchased anyway, but at this point in my life I don't have the time or the energy to continue browsing libraries and music shops for hours listening to a lot of stuff, so I guess it makes up for it. I still purchase CDs when I really like something, because I always prefer the real thing.

Finally, even before peer-to-peer existed, I have always refused to tape albums done by emerging artists trying to make a living off their music, and refered my friends to the nearest outlet instead. I have a lot of musicians among my friends and I think it is a moral responsibility to buy their stuff and never copy it. I would not have such hang-ups if someone asked me to do a copy of, say, the latest Mariah Carey album. Similarly, I believe it is a responsible attitude to systematically purchase and never copy the books done by our forum members. These will never be mainstream books with high circulation, and copying their work can be very damaging.

At the end of the day, it is just a case of adopting a reasonable, responsible behaviour. There will always be leeches and profiteers who never want to buy anything and live off everybody else. But most of us will buy some and swap some. I know I do. Let he who never used a P2P software send me the first stone.

Stargazer2006 said:
At the end of the day, it is just a case of adopting a reasonable, responsible behaviour. There will always be leeches and profiteers who never want to buy anything and live off everybody else. But most of us will buy some and swap some. I know I do. Let he who never used a P2P software send me the first stone.

Take your pick

Images of Mick Jagger and Sharron Stone were removed, although both were most likely compliant with standards of "Fair Use." Tinwing

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 132
Stargazer2006 said:
I'll take Sharon in a heartbeat... ;D ::)

Sorry, I get to pick first

Point I was making is that just because an artist is successful that doesn't make it any less wrong to take their stuff than if they were still emerging.

Sad that selective stealing is the way to go, and simply assuming that not a lot of people do it is just that - an assumption.

In a recent book trade publication, J.K. Rowling was lamenting the appearance of her Harry Potter books shortly after release as pirated scans. I can provide links to comic book companies that know their comics are pirated shortly after hitting the street. And my own company had a hardcover pirated within 30 days of release, plus many other titles by us. From time to time, a loyal fan spots our work on yet another pirate site. One of our staff contacts the offender to get them taken down.

Viacom sued youtube over infringing material. They lost but are currently in the process of appeal. In Germany, a site called rapidshare was fined. The owners of Pirate Bay were convicted. Google is dealing with a lawsuit by photographers and visual artists.

The list goes on, and legislation is being promoted to shut down the pirates. No one has the right to take what is not theirs.

Companies like Sony whine about their material being "stolen", but they have always sold cassette tapes, tape recorders, blank CDs, CD-recorders, blank DVDs and DVD recorders! That kind of technology ought to never have been made available to the general public in the first place. It is by giving people the tools to "steal" that they end up "stealing". But then these big companies know that even when they lose, they win. What they lose in copies being made of their production they more than gain in the sale of the recording/duplicating material.

As I said, I am in no way condoning any sort of behaviour, nor am I in any way trying to say I'm right. All I'm saying is that most people who seem ready to take arms about that kind of issues are hypocritical. Do they have no album copied onto tape or CD? No TV program copied onto video, while the DVD is available in shops? Do they never photocopy an article they like but go and buy a magazine instead? Show me that kind of people and I'll applaud. But these people just do not exist.

I gave all these matters a lot of thinking and even started a book on the subject years ago. I gave up because when discussing these issues on various forums and with people I met at the time, I realized not only that most people, whether in the general public or in the media, didn't have a balanced view and an objective view of things, but that when I pinpointed questionable behaviours on certain issues or dared to reassess the notions of intellectual property or created matter in the light of well-documented arguments there was too often an uprise of irrational aggressiveness aimed at me. And even those who privately approved or agreed would never speak out or dare to help my work for fear of their own peers...

I don't want to take this discussion too far, nor do I want to hijack this thread. That was not my intention. So let me stop here. Don't think I want to evade the discussion, it is not so. I'll gladly discuss things with anyone in private messages and am always glad to exchange views, even open to being proved I'm wrong when it's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom