SpaceX (general discussion)

Last edited:
Borisov said:
“If the Falcon 9, as a rule, is used more than 10 times, our new methalox first stage will be reusable at least 50 and perhaps up to 100 times,"
reading this, I spit my coffee almost over my computer...
Falcon 9 will this year reach 20th reuse of first stage, Russia never reuse there first stage...

The Amur-CNG rocket is another Russian vaporware
The planed launch is push from 2024 to 2030s

In mean time in Texas stand the biggest Methalox rocket ever build
good luck russia you need it...

Fully reusable, it's LEO payload is only 10.5t. So it's about half a Falcon 9 assuming it's successful.
If it works.

People may ham and hal the Starship but that thing been at least flying and has the Falcon development with nearly a decade of flights as a background.

This thing? Hasnt even left the paper for the computers yet let alone the manufacturer. And the Soyuz and that ISS Module manufacturing issues show that making ut be questionable before the labor and mind crunch due to a certain conflict.

I be highly surprised if it ever flies.

Here's a new video from NASASpaceflight concerning preparation of SpaceX's "Chopsticks" at Boca Chica for future flights of the Starship:

This week on Starbase Update, we catch up with Jack and look into the intense preparations for Flight 4 at SpaceX's Starbase, including major updates to the "Chopsticks" for their upcoming first catch attempt. Join us as we explore the rapid construction at the Starfactory, and get a sneak peek at the future of Starship with the new office building taking shape. Plus, we’ll take a closer look at Booster 11 and Ship 29 gearing up for the next big test flight.

GLZrSCBWUAAA4-m

wonderful picture of yesterday Falcon 9 launch

Source X

This is in relation to the so called Starshield system. The prototypes are believed to have been hidden amongst Starlink launches. It’s designed to be the most all encompassing reconnaissance system ever launched.

Aerospace and defense company Northrop Grumman is working with SpaceX, the space venture of billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, on a classified spy satellite project already capturing high-resolution imagery of the Earth, according to people familiar with the program.

The program, details of which were first reported by Reuters last month, is meant to enhance the U.S. government's ability to track military and intelligence targets from low-Earth orbits, providing high-resolution imagery of a kind that had traditionally been captured mostly by drones and reconnaissance aircraft.
The network's imaging capabilities are designed to have superior resolution over most existing U.S. government spying systems.

It's also designed to address another concern: Currently, U.S. defense and intelligence agencies gather considerable amounts of imagery from drones and reconnaissance aircraft in other countries' sovereign airspace, which poses risks, especially in conflict zones. Placing that image-collection in Earth's orbit reduces the risk, U.S. officials have said.
Once the new spy satellite network is fully deployed, the people told Reuters, it will be equipped with an array of different sensors, including optical and radar technology. The system will also feature relay satellites that can transmit the imagery and other data across the network, two of the people added.

The system will eventually be mostly controlled autonomously by large numbers of AI systems due to the huge amounts of data produced.

Last edited:
I suspect the NRO project is back door funded via the Spaceforce/Space Development Agency and that it will be integrated with the “Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture” (ugh), which is to be composed of some 400-500 tracking and transport layer satellites. The tracking layer is for ballistic and hypersonic weapon detection and fire control via IR, and the transport layer is a series of UHF and L band communications satellites. The entire constellation is to have laser cross links. The PWSA is to also have a processing function, which I believe will allow the data collected to be analyzed for high priority targets in near real time. It will probably be a revolution in warfare on par with the explosion of UAVs in the last few years.

Not at all. NRO is funded separately from either.

My post was poorly phrased. It would be more correct to say that the two organizations are collaborating on recon satellites, given that they will have a tactical as well as strategic role. It see likely Space Force is spending some of it’s budget on projects that are also funded by NRO, though it is impossible to know since NROs budget is black.

i think that Starshield provide real time image and video from Space
But with thousand satellite in orbit give global coverage

There are small cube sat that provide this service
So those sensors hardware can be installed in Starlink platform instead

more on that technology

oh by the way
why has Starlink communication satellite, cameras on board ?
it go one on board
View: https://twitter.com/smvllstvrs/status/1778587215880474811

The future NRO constellation I think is more dedicated recon packages, possibly/likely made by other contractors, employing a starlink style bus and optical cross link. The stated goal is "hundreds" of satellites, not thousands, and it is not clear what capability they will contain. I personally suspect part of the GMTI program is included in this effort, but I assume there is also an optical component as well given the scope of the project. I'm actually putting together an article concerning the entire tracking/transport and now...observation (for lack of a better word) satellite layers. Tranch 0 of the tracking transport layer I believe is already on station for testing purposes. Tranch 1 will start next year, and in total is over 170 satellites (total constellation > 200). It looks like the NRO observation satellites will start launching next month, with a half dozen launches apparently scheduled for this year. Tranche 2 of the tracking layer has been contracted and is 54 satellites split between three contractors.

This capability is going to be created practically overnight compared to other ISR and C3 systems. The US has figured out it has total booster superiority and it intends to exploit it heavily.

The future NRO constellation I think is more dedicated recon packages, possibly/likely made by other contractors, employing a starlink style bus and optical cross link. The stated goal is "hundreds" of satellites, not thousands, and it is not clear what capability they will contain. I personally suspect part of the GMTI program is included in this effort, but I assume there is also an optical component as well given the scope of the project. I'm actually putting together an article concerning the entire tracking/transport and now...observation (for lack of a better word) satellite layers. Tranch 0 of the tracking transport layer I believe is already on station for testing purposes. Tranch 1 will start next year, and in total is over 170 satellites (total constellation > 200). It looks like the NRO observation satellites will start launching next month, with a half dozen launches apparently scheduled for this year. Tranche 2 of the tracking layer has been contracted and is 54 satellites split between three contractors.

This capability is going to be created practically overnight compared to other ISR and C3 systems. The US has figured out it has total booster superiority and it intends to exploit it heavily.
Huh?

Tranche 2 is missile warning and tracking
Tranche 1 is "transport" i.e. comm
Tranche 0 is test of 1 & 2

NRO is not involved with these. or ready to launch a similar constellation.

Do you think technology is at the point where moderate resolution imagery from different satellite viewing angles can be consistently/continuously combined into a high resolution scene that can be examined from multiple viewpoints? Asking for a paranoid friend...

Last edited:
Do you think technology is at the point where moderate resolution imagery from different satellite viewing angles can be consistently/continuously combined into a high resolution scene that can be examined from multiple viewpoints? Asking for a paranoid friend...
Does he looks like Gene Hackman or Will Smith ? :D

Not at all. NRO is funded separately from either.

Really? Show me their budget.

The only "public" portions of the NRO budget are those that come from other services, under budget items such as (IIRC) "Selected Activities" or "BILLIE JEAN" from the USAF budget.

I'd be delighted to be wrong but I think they posted an old article for clicks. They had to replace a grid-fin actuator on Flight 3, delaying it by a day, and the current rocket isn't even stacked. On top of that they just received their launch license from the FCC and their launch window doesn't open until the 25th.

GLeUMWCX0AAkd6k.jpg

Huh?

I stand corrected on Tranche 1/2 composition. However NRO appears to have a half dozen launches scheduled for a large recon constellation to be built by Starshield. It is my guess that it will be integrated with the Spaceforce transport layer.

Some articles concerning the new NRO project claim superior resolution compared to current satellites; I cannot see how that is possible on smaller platforms ant similar altitude unless they are using multiple cameras to image the same location at once. But it could also just be bad reporting. I suspect that will not ever be disclosed. The satellite orbits might provide some indication.

oh by the way
why has Starlink communication satellite, cameras on board ?

Because cell phone cameras are very cheap and light, and are useful for Q&A/debugging. Same reason why all SpaceX hardware has a whole bunch of microphones onboard. If there is an energetic event, it will make a sound, which will reach the microphones at different times, and from arrival times SpaceX can figure out where the event happened. This was used to figure out what went wrong with B1018 during the CRS-7 flight. A strut holding the helium COPV inside the LOX tank failed, the bottle impacted the dome and broke, and overpressure destroyed the tank. SpaceX got the sound from the strut breaking and the impact, and very quickly located them and figured out what went wrong.

Huh?

Now that I have a full keyboard and some saved links to call up...

Tranch 0 is 28 satellites, 20 Transport and 8 Tracking.

Tranch 1:

"SDA plans to field the first operational generation of the PWSA, Tranche 1, beginning in late 2024. Tranche 1 will include 126 Transport Layer satellites, 35 Tracking satellites, and 12 tactical demonstration satellites (called T1DES). "

So far I have only identified contracts for the tracking layer for Tranche 2, so perhaps there are no Transport layer satellites yet assigned to that generation. Tranche 1 does appear to have separate tracking and transport satellites, and I believe there are different models of Transport satellite as well - Alph, Beta, and Gama (UHF, Link 16/L band, UHF). But I'm still sorting out when different models/frequencies of transport satellite are being sent up; there seems to be little documentation that describes the system in total. Each article I've looked at seems to only mention what is in a particular launch, or a particular contractor, or sometimes a particular tranche. Any information you can link would be appreciated.