SpaceX Falcon Heavy

I may have asked this before…but wasn’t a five core Falcon superheavy talked about?

Instead of each having a set of legs…could they be fashioned into something like Saturn I but with telescoping legs coming straight down from the gaps in between?

Allows for a wide upper fairing…
By fundamental definition you can only have one single core, but you could envision a single core with three, four, five, or even six boosters which would/could be sequenced by acceleration limit, thrust level, fuel consumption, ignition timing, and resulting separation. The sky's the limit...

I may have asked this before…but wasn’t a five core Falcon superheavy talked about?

Instead of each having a set of legs…could they be fashioned into something like Saturn I but with telescoping legs coming straight down from the gaps in between?

Allows for a wide upper fairing…

Not needed and too complex.

A few years ago I read the following book:

There---a simplified Delta II type vehicle was called for. If you could hand pick some guys in aerospace---do you think you might get an expendable based on that rocket cheap enough to go up against Falcon?

A few years ago I read the following book:

There---a simplified Delta II type vehicle was called for. If you could hand pick some guys in aerospace---do you think you might get an expendable based on that rocket cheap enough to go up against Falcon?
No. The Delta II was already cheap at time. It was cheap for NASA because the DOD (20, 25, 11), Globstar (7), Iridium (11) and NASA (15, 19) had bought them in bulk buys. And the DOD required a 40 day call up for GPS, which paid for one launch team. Hence, Delta II was subsidized by GPS. Once GPS moved on, Delta II couldn't compete. It was too complex. 3-9 SRMs for thrust augmentation to be processed and attached. 3 stages with completely different propellants (cryogenic, hypergolic and solid). An unguided spinning solid 3rd stage with ordnance timers and a hypergolic nutation control system was used on most missions. All that cost manpower. There was no sense in spending money to try to make it cheaper. It was going to be replaced by EELVs anyways (which started in 1994). Delta IV was an attempt to simplify a rocket, except they chose LH2 for all stages, which actually caused more costs.

NASA likes small missions that is why it used Pegasus, Taurus and Delta II. Using small launch vehicles, keeps the spacecraft small and hence the costs low. With larger launch vehicles and their higher costs, spacecraft tend to be larger to keep the cost per lb down. When you have a large launch vehicle like Falcon 9, you can fly smaller missions on it because it is cheaper than a Pegasus or Delta II and you are not worried about "wasting" the excess performance.

Last edited:
I was thinking of a wider Delta II type with two engines....I think Hujsak was calling for something similar...no solids, all in-house. I read his book years ago, however...an earlier time---pre-Musk

They are very nearly the same size. Fill a D-IV full of Kerolox with F-1s- and you might get close to Falcon Heavy…less if the strap ons were fly-backs?

Fill Atlas V with hydrogen and…well, I could punt more to orbit…ow, my gout!

They are very nearly the same size. Fill a D-IV full of Kerolox with F-1s- and you might get close to Falcon Heavy…less if the strap ons were fly-backs?
No, it wouldn't
How is this not any different than the Delta IV Heavy design.
You mean aside from the part where they land and are reusable?
I am talking about the triple core arraignment. What happens after the cores burnout is irrelevant to the discussion.

No, It would have less performance than the Delta IV Heavy. That is basic rocket science.
Also it can't throttle to make the configuration work. And the upperstage is too small for it.

F-1 could not be used in a SpaceX fly back configuration because it has too high of thrust and can't throttle.

No, it wouldn't
I am talking about the triple core arraignment. What happens after the cores burnout is irrelevant to the discussion.
ULA looked at a similar concept with their Atlas 5.

No, it wouldn't
It was Lockheed Martin and the design went as far as CDR. The facilities and pad were built to accommodate it. The MLP just needed to add the plumbing.

No, it wouldn't
It was Lockheed Martin and the design went as far as CDR. The facilities and pad were built to accommodate it. The MLP just needed to add the plumbing.
Last I checked LM was part of ULA, no? :rolleyes:

No, it wouldn't
Last I checked LM was part of ULA, no? :rolleyes:
No, ULA is a separate company. LM owns 1/2 half of ULA, but the employees and assets are ULA and not Boeing or LM.
ULA was formed in 2006. Atlas V first flew in 2003. All the design and development was done by LM