SpaceX Dragon CRS

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
To celebrate the recent SpaceX tryunph, here it is a brief presentation about the matter.

Enjoy it!!

Attachments

• Diapositiva1.JPG
    Diapositiva1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Diapositiva8.JPG
    Diapositiva8.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 50
  • Diapositiva7.JPG
    Diapositiva7.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Diapositiva6.JPG
    Diapositiva6.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Diapositiva5.JPG
    Diapositiva5.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Diapositiva4.JPG
    Diapositiva4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 391
  • Diapositiva3.JPG
    Diapositiva3.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 394
  • Diapositiva2.JPG
    Diapositiva2.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 406
Here there are the other slides...

Attachments

• Diapositiva16.JPG
    Diapositiva16.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 38
  • Diapositiva15.JPG
    Diapositiva15.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Diapositiva14.JPG
    Diapositiva14.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Diapositiva13.JPG
    Diapositiva13.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Diapositiva12.JPG
    Diapositiva12.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Diapositiva11.JPG
    Diapositiva11.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Diapositiva10.JPG
    Diapositiva10.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Diapositiva9.JPG
    Diapositiva9.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
Last slides.

Attachments

• Diapositiva17.JPG
    Diapositiva17.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Diapositiva18.JPG
    Diapositiva18.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 46
fantastic work, Archipeppe !

do i see right, the Dragon has no Service module in the traditional way ?

Michel Van said:
fantastic work, Archipeppe !

do i see right, the Dragon has no Service module in the traditional way ?

Thanks a lot Michel, you're always welcomed.

You are right, there is no "service module" in the sense that we tradionally know (Vostok(Voskhod, Gemini, Soyuz, Apollo CSM, Orion etc.) it is a mere connection element between capsule and Falcon 9 second stage.
It houses the solar panels, radiators (TBC), some minor system and unpressurized payload (like the HTV).

Everything is really important, from the thrusters to GNC, is contained within the capsule and returns to Earth.
It is clear that SpaceX people had, from since, in their mind the possibility to re-use the Dragon capsule, otherwise what purpose cold have to recover all those systems that represent a significative weight during the re-entry phase?

archipeppe said:
Everything is really important, from the thrusters to GNC, is contained within the capsule and returns to Earth.
It is clear that SpaceX people had, from since, in their mind the possibility to re-use the Dragon capsule, otherwise what purpose cold have to recover all those systems that represent a significative weight during the re-entry phase?

not only the weigh penalty,
also the safety problems on engine malfunction:
like Gemini 8 were a one OAMS truster fired continually, and the crew used the separated RCS as backup.
Or ASTP were from RCS, oxidizer (highly toxic nitrogen tetroxide) leak into Apollo capsule!

but now makes this proposal a sense, to ground land the Dragon with rocket engine,
they want to dump the remaining fuel of RCS and escape system, so why not landing with it ?
i see here disaster coming...

Michel Van said:
i see here disaster coming...

Not necessarily Michel...
The idea to land a rocket powered space capsule comes from far, the first came up with such idea were Russians with their Zarya spacecraft (a sort of super-Soyuz) back in 1986.
During the 90's the unlucky DC-X proved that it was possible to land a spacecraft with modulable thrust rockets.

And now both SpaceX and RSC-Energia chose such approach to land both DragonRider and PTK-NP.

I think the parachute era is come to end.

The Shuttle didn't have a separate service module and brought engines, fuel tanks etc. back down.

The biggest danger to fuel tanks is a meteorite strike, and that's unlikely in the landing phase.

Well done. BTW, where did you get the mass of the Dragon's trunk section? I had been looking for that value.

Bob Clark