Soviet self-propelled gun 2S7 prototype

Mephito19365

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I found in Russian information that the 2S7 self-propelled artillery was based on the layout of the T-10 heavy tank during the design stage. The design was called "Object 216 sp1". But no pictures are provided in the article.

Recently I noticed that the Chinese company NetEase Mobile Tanks has a "T-10 SPG". The vehicle uses a 203mm gun and looks very similar to the 2S7.
ru_spg_t10spg.png
I'm not sure if they uncovered some information or if this is just an interpretation of the literal description of Object 216 sp1. Because there is such a sentence in the Russian article "в котором пушка устанавливалась традиционно - в сильно бронированной рубке в" носовой части машины. “This means the gun is mounted in a conventional manner in a heavily armored compartment at the front of the vehicle.

It seems that the descriptions are very different, but the problem is that we don’t know whether Object 216 sp1 changed the layout later, so we cannot completely rule out the version provided by the mobile game.

So, does anyone have any clearer information?

Agh, okay, this is a weird one. The 2S7 Pion is an open-top 203mm SP artillery platform, as pictured in your post - basically a Soviet M110, built on a chassis designed specifically for it but sharing parts with the T-72 and T-80. There is a mention of an Object 216sp.1 with an enclosed turret and based on the T-10 designed by Lev Gorlitsky (designer of the SU-122 and SU-85), but I can't find even a drawing of that version. And to add to the confusion, there was an SPG built based on the T-10 chassis, the Object 268 with a 152mm gun, which was fully armored and used a casemate mount. And an Object 261 based on the IS-7 featuring a 152mm gun and a semi-enclosed crew area.