Soviet S-200 SAM (SA-5 GAMMON)

Given that the SA-5 was designed originally as a long-range SAM this isn't surprising however I suspect if things were less rushed a more accurate SSM version would be available.
GPS guidance would probably be the finishing touch, but that would require more significant integration and development work.

GPS guidance would probably be the finishing touch, but that would require more significant integration and development work.

Good point and I've no doubt that Ukraine is getting plenty of covert help from western arms manufacturers to improve things so I won't be surprised if we see an improvement in the use of modified SA-5s.

From what I understand Ukraine has literally hundreds of retired SA-5s in stock to modify into SSMs.

I always thought “red fuming nitric acid” sounded like a completely made up name from a bad sci fi movie or comic book. It sounds like something Dr Doom invented.
Yes, but it's actually a term of art. White Fuming Nitric Acid is the other type.

Here are the wikipedia articles on the two nitric-acid oxidiser variants:

RFNA
WFNA

Ops, forgive me, a senior moment their.

If you watch the launch of, say, a Titan II or an older Long March rocket you'll see the same reddish-brown smoke as the engines start up.

I always thought “red fuming nitric acid” sounded like a completely made up name from a bad sci fi movie or comic book. It sounds like something Dr Doom invented.

Well I imagine it exactly like that: Red fuming with anger

11tTNkNy1SdXGg.webp

Sounds more like they aimed for a substation and hit it, reading between the lies.
Yup.

Hitting and destroying a substation is just as good as busting the entire generator. Nobody carries enough of those big transformers as spares to lose replace an entire substation at once.

Edit: better word choice.

Last edited: