Soviet military hardware that needed a little help from Western technology

phrenzy

as long as all they ask me about is the air war...
Reaction score
I can't even remember where, but I recently read that the topol ICBM was based in part on US designs but it was a very fuzzy allusion that I couldn't find much else about. It's got me curious about the topic and I was wondering if there were any good sources on technology stolen by the Soviets during the cold war?

I've recently seen a documentary on an east german operation to get consumer and dual use electronics out of western Europe (though that was is secondary topic) and another on the tu-144 that might be a little controversial (I know there is a little disagreement on how accurate the name "Concordski" was/is).

Last semester I used a translated Russian report on inferring Chinese military developments from the technology they were importing/trying to import/trying to aquire by other means that was quite interesting but I couldn't find a similar source for the USSR during the cold war.

I'd also be interested in any high profile known examples of military hardware with links to borrowed technology as well.

Soviet solid-fuel rocket technology seems to have owed at least something to espionage.

http://www.omnilogos.com/2015/02/rocket-science-and-russian-spies.html

I might be completely wrong here, but I seem to recall from an edition of Soviet Military Power that the Paris-Dakar winning Kamaz truck and its production plant had western help.

Chris
(not a truck buff, but I'd have a Kamaz. Just for the school run.)

Back
Top Bottom