Soviet land battleships projects

Taranov

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
As a start, funny story about "Red Army land battleship" in american wartime press.

source: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2011/02/08/now-its-land-battleships

In reality, german column been attacked by two KV heavy tanks

Now real soviet giant tanks and giant combat vehicles projects.

"Venkoval", giant crushing vehicle project, february 1944 dated:
image_4d9c673b516e5.jpg

Description:

Source - Central Defence Ministry Archive (Podolsk, Russia)

A giant cilinder with trains, tanks and people in it...rolling and crushing. Can't get the idea ???

Taranov, could you give a little more about this thing?, which was it intended role?, it was an armoured transport?, any idea about how it was to be powered?

Thanks in advance

Antonio

I think the tanks are supposed to move it by driving up the inside wall. The middle section seems to be suspended in some fashion so that it doesn't rotate.

Soviet military hamster wheel ;D

Attachments

• In uniform.jpg
    In uniform.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,385
Many other weird stuff courtesy Yuri Pasholok's archive research\

check http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/ for more werdness

Attachments

• 6e32d140eb5e.jpg
    6e32d140eb5e.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 935
  • dc2d6f5ba370.jpg
    dc2d6f5ba370.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 819
  • a9632b7dc491.jpg
    a9632b7dc491.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 286
  • image_4d52f257e6d28.jpg
    image_4d52f257e6d28.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 576
Thiel said:
Is that a bicycle?

if you meant the picture with title "Cxema bpomecamokata" yes...

from all those proposal
i consider only the picture title "Tahkobbin kpencep" as real proposal
the rest are victims of millions of soviet zombie hamsters ;D

I'm consoled that Germany was not the only one with land battleships projects...
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2240.0/highlight,p1500.html

wat next ?
million of Japanese mini tanks who fuse to land battleships ? ::)

With regards to the 'Venkoval' concept, are those aero engines powering it? And, are those railway carriages stored in it's axis?!!!

flateric said:
Many other weird stuff courtesy Yuri Pasholok's archive research\

check http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/ for more werdness

For those of us with either inadequate browsers or an inability to read Russianese... where's the link on that page to "older posts?" I can only get that front page to come up, can't figure out how to see older ones.

Right-hand corner, top of the page, click on <back 20 entries>.

I think.

Arjen said:
Right-hand corner, top of the page, click on <back 20 entries>.

I think.

yep that works
found more Tank weirdness in Russian language

Real soviet land battleship project, december 1942 dated.
First design - assault version, 2800 t weight, 75-110 km/h speed :eek:
Second design - assault-transport version, 3200 t weight (2700 + 500 t of cargo), 60-65 km/h speed

and - and it's not biggest soviet land battleship project! ;D

Attachments

• landbattleship1.jpg
    landbattleship1.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 502
  • landbattleship2.jpg
    landbattleship2.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 501
assault version, 2800 t weight, 75-110 km/h speed

index.php

Against those mastodon, Nazi madness P-1000 and P-1500 land battleships poposals look realistic...
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2240.0.html

Ok, something special ;D

It's a biggest project of soviet tank. Idea of two crazy plasterers S.G. Fillipov and S.P. Zhilin from Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan (text of invention made on the back side of drawings of plastering devices), september 1941 dated.
Idea of "Creep Fort" invention - making of mobile fortress, full weight - 14000 t (yes, it's not a joke!). Hull made from concrete. Inside creep fort located special fly-wheels for jumping-moving forward/backward, and rotating. No information about armament found, only one side-view on the drawing, but this vehicle already armament - 14000 tons of jumping concrete is a mobile earthquake ;D

Attachments

• fortress.jpg
    fortress.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 788
do i get this right ?

this a 14000 tons Bunker who move by ...VIBRATION ?

5JaFlhU.jpg

the Double facepalm is for this insane concept...

Michel Van said:
do i get this right ?
this a 14000 tons Bunker who move by ...VIBRATION ?
Yeah, i found few simitar projects with vibration moving.

Would 'Крепость умопомешательства' be a fitting name for this project, do you think?

Grey Havoc said:
Would 'Крепость умопомешательства' be a fitting name for this project, do you think?

YES, Fortress of the insanity match this perfectly !

Taranov said:
Yeah, i found few simitar projects with vibration moving.

what ?! is that bigger as the "Fortress of the insanity" ?

Oddly - after conscious thought first returned (these drawings should really be marketed to Zen Buddhists - even more impressive than Koans), my first thought was:
If these drawings had been created ten years later - would the United States have tried to close the 'hopping fortresses gap'?

Avimimus said:
Oddly - after conscious thought first returned (these drawings should really be marketed to Zen Buddhists - even more impressive than Koans), my first thought was:
If these drawings had been created ten years later - would the United States have tried to close the 'hopping fortresses gap'?

strangelove21.jpg

with all my respect mr President, But we can't not allow us this Mobile fortress gap ! we need build bigger ones as the dam russia have !

Avimimus said:

In Soviet Russia, the Maginot Line bypasses you!

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

i look in wiki and found a very heavy Machine that move

the Big Muskie was biggest coal mining Bucyrus-Erie dragline ever build. it work from 1969 to 1991.
with weight of 12247 metric tons and scoops 325 tons of coal at ones
Big Muskie moves with help of hydraulically driven walking feet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Muskie

This might just qualify as a 'land battleship' (I wasn't sure whether to put this here or over in Naval Projects!):

2097499046_c1599763f0_o.gif

Most Bizarre All-Terrain Vehicle Ever Conceived

We have to finish with this idea, from the Soviet technology magazine in 1937. Engineer Georgi Pokrovski had the ultimate solution for conquering polar wastes: a hybrid of sea-going vessel with a giant tracked mobile base. He called it an "Arctic Amphibian Tank" and described it as 1000-tons fortress which will navigate the icy plains with tracks and use them to propel the ship through the water as well...

Dark Roasted Blend

Early Russian projects of land battleships dating a WW1 period. Anonym engineer in 1916 projected special "all-terrain mover", and, suggested many vehicles, self-propelled machine gun, cannon, hangar. Also, suggested installation old armour-vessels of Black Sea fleet on this "mover", and, creating huge "land armour-vessels", by 2400-5000 crew (USS "Nimitz" on tracks :D ).
Also, actually, "Land battleship" - was "Oboy" (Semchishin). Suggested installation of big naval guns.
Other project - "Land armour-vessel" - Opanasenko, 1916-1917, from Kiev, but, I haven't data about this machine.
(information from S. Fedoseev "WW1 Tanks")

Last edited: