SO2C design modifications to SOC blueprints or diagram?

PretzelDarter

Seaplane fan, basically
Reaction score
I'm sure many are aware of the Curtiss SOC Seagull and later SO3C Seamew, but the SO2C is a mysterious thing.
All that I have found on the SO2C is that it was a one-off development from the SOC-3, but with a 5-Foot fuselage stretch and given a R-1340-35 powerplant (as opposed to the standard R-1340-18 that powered standard SOC Seagulls, or R-1340-22 for SOC-2s and later versions)
My search for any images to reference for design deviations from the standard SOC-3 has been unfruitful thus far, so I ask- can anyone here find anything else on the SO2C?

The XSO2C-1 or Curtiss Model 71C of 1937 had the changes you mentioned as well as flaps added on all wing panels. The sole prototype XSO2C-1 - BuNo 0950 - crashed at NAS Anacostia (Washington, DC) on 29 June 1941. The XSO2C-1 was then transferred to the aircraft mechanic school at NAS Jacksonville as an 'instructional airframe'. In reality, I suspect, the XS02C-1 remains would have been stripped for parts by the base's Assembly and Repair Department to provide components for local overhaul of standard Seagulls.

No drawings but a photo:
curt-xso2c1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it only limited to BuNo 0950 for a Model 71C? Some of the information given makes it seem that they may have repeated something similar later but based on a Model 71E, though I'm uncertain of that
Either way, thank you for the data on the XSO2C-1.

Was it only limited to BuNo 0950 for a Model 71C? Some of the information given makes it seem that they may have repeated something similar later but based on a Model 71E, though I'm uncertain of that...

Do you mean similar to the XSO2C-1's extended fuselage? As far as I can tell, the Model 71E/SOC-3s had flaps only on their upper wing panels.

Yes, I am referring to a similar fuselage stretch or re-engining like the XSO2C-1 but with an airframe based off a Model 17E