I suspect given the shear quantity of fiber optic cables draped across the landscape that the number of times an active one is manually cut mid mission is fleetingly small. Snags/pulls I assume do happen. In particular I would think fixed wing fiber deployment a little problematic.
I wonder if these wires would reflect anything if you could shine a suitably energetic laser on them. They are mostly invisible, but if you could detect an active drone dispersing one and had a means for visualizing the wire itself, following it back to the source would be pretty trivial. Likely you could almost immediately determine bearing, and perhaps back tracking several would triangulate a small area sensors or artillery could focus on. But there would need to be some way of rapidly detecting the fibers, which I suspect are invisible to normal radar, IR, and EO sensors.
That little guy as the cheapest and most efficient solution:
(commercial image)
Last edited: