Sikorsky S-66 pics from my files

Attachments

• Sikorsky S-66.JPG
    Sikorsky S-66.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,543
  • Sikorsky S-66 [2].JPG
    Sikorsky S-66 [2].JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,459
Anyone know which S-66 proposal was the final choice? The one that looks similar to the AH-56 or the one that looks sort of like a cross between the later S-67 & a Hind? Thanks.

Whether breadboard model S-66 has been constructed and whether there are other pictures of this project except two which are well-known

Only two pictures that are known I think... :'(

Attachments

• sikorsky_s66_03.jpg
    sikorsky_s66_03.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,292
  • sikorsky_s66_01.jpg
    sikorsky_s66_01.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,249
If I am not mistaken there was research helicopter S-61 with the steering screw of type Rotoprop for future S-66 where it is possible to take the information. Thanks.

I am looking for information on the Sikorsky S-66, whether made in the 60 years the design of this helicopter at Sikorsky company, or only 2 drawings, which are known, can those who have three types of images S-66 and preferably drawings. Thank you.

mil said:
I am looking for information on the Sikorsky S-66, whether made in the 60 years the design of this helicopter at Sikorsky company, or only 2 drawings, which are known, can those who have three types of images S-66 and preferably drawings. Thank you.

Look, if we did have anything else than these two pics, don't you think we would have posted them here already?!?

mil said:
If I am not mistaken there was research helicopter S-61 with the steering screw of type Rotoprop for future S-66 where it is possible to take the information. Thanks.

Dear Mil, here is a small article in French on the Sikorsky S-61F used as as testbed for the Rotoprop swivelling tail-rotor intended for the Sikorsky S-66......

The article comes from the 1st August 1965 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

... if it isn't needed too urgently, I would have a try. If someone has a readymade
3-view, it would be great, of course, if he would post it before. ;)

Cutaway drawing of Sikorsky S-66.

Model of Sikorsky S-66 with Rotoprop swivel prop in tail rotor mode.

Artist's impression of Sikorsky S-66 in color.

Source:
http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/S-66%20AAFSS.php

Attachments

• S-66 X 1.jpg
    S-66 X 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 234
  • S-66 X 3.jpg
    S-66 X 3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 313
  • S-66 X 2.jpg
    S-66 X 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 333
That's great stuff!

ditto that great stuff

Just a question, before getting it wrong from the start: Am I right, that the turnable turret
is situated in the righthand sponson and not on the centerline ? Judging the cutaway its
position is just in front of the wheelbay. But traverse would just have been limited this way.

The drawing is based on the cutaway and the model, which seems to show the same variant in slightly
simplified form. The turnable gun turret is offset to the left and is situated under the sponson, don't think,
that on the other side there is a turret, too. Dimensions very rough guestimation, based on size of the
cockpits, gunturret and engine. Any additional clue welcome !

Attachments

• S-66_AAFSS.gif
    S-66_AAFSS.gif
    108.3 KB · Views: 919
As the pictures of the S-66 actually are showing three different layouts, I thought it to be interesting to
portray them all, so here is the second versions. Compared to the other one, there seems to be a different
cockpit glazing/framing and the engine exhausts into a single nozzle, instead of a bifurcated one. The movable
gun is located in the nose and the fairing of the fixed gun looks considerable smaller (other type/calibre ?).
The sponsons are shorter, necesstitating the landing gear to retract backwards, instead of forwards and the
stubwings seem to have a greater span.
Anybody an idea, which design came first ?

Attachments

• S-66_AAFSS_02.gif
    S-66_AAFSS_02.gif
    96 KB · Views: 654
Thanks for the variation. When I first read it, I was expecting a 3 view of the sleeker, AH-56-looking S-66 proposal. Are you planning to draw that one as well? Nice work again.

famvburg said:
Are you planning to draw that one as well?

It's the next one, takes some time . ;)

Not too long, I hope ! ;)

That's the layout, we have the least detailed source material about and to my opinion, in thath artists impression
was a lot of art mixed in !
As shown, the engine would have been completely buried in the fuselage, but when the objects just behind the inlets
are exhaust nozzles, the engine was either VERY small (definitely no T55), or would have used VERY elaborate exhaust
piping indeed.
Judging the cockpit, the aircraft seems to be a little longer, than the other two designs, the prop has got a spinner,
the tailplane was moved down to the fuselage and the sponsons were deleted, giving way to wings with larger span.
That would mean, that the landing gear couldn't have been stowed as before. A tailwheel isn't visible either, maybe
it was retractable, or the lower part of the fin would have acted as a tail skid. So, against my usual practice, I omitted
the landing gear from my drawing and relinquished the drawing of the lower side, at least until we perhaps may get more
source material one day.

Attachments

• S-66_AAFSS_03.gif
    S-66_AAFSS_03.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 491
Another fine drawing! Thanks. I too have always wondered about the engine(s) set-up in this version. I wouldn't think in the '60s there'd be wheeled MLG and a skid on the tail. As sleek as this design is, it had either a small retractable tail wheel or maybe a nose wheel arrangement. With no sponsons for the mains, I can see a tri-gear, with the mains well aft. Thanks again.

famvburg said:
..With no sponsons for the mains, I can see a tri-gear, with the mains well aft. ...

You're thinking of a landing gear like the S-76 ? Well, maybe, perhaps I saw it too close in
a line to the S-67.

Attachments

• S-66_diff_lg.gif
    S-66_diff_lg.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 349
Indeed, S-76 it was! Doesn't look out of place, does it?

famvburg said:
Doesn't look out of place, does it?

Looks nice indeed, but the S-76 was much later and I'm not sure, that it wouldn't limit
ground clearance for external stores too much.

Jemiba said:
Looks nice indeed, but the S-76 was much later

Agreed. The S-64, S-65 and S-66 had quite a bit in common as they were developed around the same era.

S-76 (originally designated S-74) came years later and was quite different both in concept and size.

Just because it would sit on a tri-gear 'like' an S-76, doesn't mean it had to BE the S-76 gear. If it sits too low, make it taller. A conventional MLG that's too short would cause the same limitations to weapons. I just don't believe it would have used a tail skid and wheeled MLG, maybe a small retractable tail wheel, but not a skid.

You both are right, I think. There probably was no influence of the S-66 to the S-76 on the one hand
and on the other hand, nose wheel landing gear wasn't new for helicopter then. But the landing gear legs
would have had to be quite long, for a nosewheel, as well as for a tailwheel gear, due to the low set wing.
And a nose wheel could easily interfere with a gun/gunturret. The S-67, or the S-71, as well most other attack
helicopters had tail wheel landing gears.
I've sketched bothe variants with longer legs AND retractable tail wheel. ;)
As said before, to me that artists impression is the least plausible of the shown variants, so maybe we are
just splitting hairs.

Attachments

• alternative.gif
    alternative.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 542
think this is one of the first projects of the S-66 had a single cockpit

Attachments

• 66-.jpg
    66-.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 431
Sikorsky ad circa 1963.

Attachments