Separating sensor from shooter 50's to 60’s style?

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Reading about the ballistic missile system called Taurus, that was to fit into the Terrier magazine and launcher system. Raises for me the question could it have been possible to send an aircraft up to see over the horizon and give precise enough location of a target for sych a system using INS to hit it?

Would the sensor aircraft itself have to be accurately tracked by the launching ship to get such accuracy?

Reading about the ballistic missile system called Taurus, that was to fit into the Terrier magazine and launcher system. Raises for me the question could it have been possible to send an aircraft up to see over the horizon and give precise enough location of a target for sych a system using INS to hit it?

Would the sensor aircraft itself have to be accurately tracked by the launching ship to get such accuracy?
back then, I'd have thought you would be trying to illuminate the target, with some form of RF.

Assuming you are talking about ships here, even if you got the location, and the heading, and uploaded this to the missile before launch, if the ship changes course you miss.

I think a ballistic missile would be plunging from nearly directly above the target. Unless it's like Pershing, I don't see it's easy to achieve.

I'd also expect that this would be supersonic and just because it's using a Terrier format, likely limited to a similar range.
Good enough to lob over the horizon, but not necessarily good enough to hit targets over 100nm away

Related thread on Taurus