SCR-596-T1 "spot" jammer - information needed

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
I am seeking information on the SCR-596-T1 "spot" jammer.

Specifically, I need info on its history, design, development, purpose, testing, use, specifications as well as drawings and photos.

Thanks in advance.

AlanG

Why was this topic moved??? This jammer was built, tested and possibly used in combat as early as 1943 on U.S. bombers. As such, I believe it belongs in the forum that deals with WWII aircraft where people will actually SEE it.

I found some info on the SCR-596-T2, that might be of some help in determining the specs of the SCR-596-T1:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a800188.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a800184.pdf

The forum it was in deals with UNBUILT or PROTOTYPE aircraft. Avionics fitted to production aircraft has no relevance to the topic.

... and as you can see, it WAS found there ! ;)
People with special knowledge in avionics certainly look into that section. Those, who
don't, probably have no special knowledge and so aren't helpful for you either ...

I don't know much about this but a cursory web search suggests SCR-596 was the APQ-9 "Carpet III" 475-585 MHz High Power Barrage Jamming Transmitter manufactured by General Motors (Delco Div.) series jammer designed to counter the Würzburg radar. There is lots of info on Carpet series of jammers, if that is correct.

What is the context in which you found this designation?

(Pic of APT-2 "Carpet" attached)

Attachments

• APT-2.jpg
    APT-2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 151
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I don't know much about this but a cursory web search suggests SCR-596 was the APQ-9 "Carpet III" 475-585 MHz High Power Barrage Jamming Transmitter manufactured by General Motors (Delco Div.) series jammer designed to counter the Würzburg radar.

One of the two sources I found seems to suggest that the SCR-596-T2 was the preproduction version of the APQ-9, though the text is somewhat ambiguous.

The documents I'm using deal with experiments to jam tank communications on the battlefield. The SCR-596-T1 is specifically mentioned as one of the systems tested, with no reference to a T2 which may have come along later.

AlanG

Actually, not. The AN/ART-3 Jackal - like the British Jostle II - was a "sweep" jammer, whereas the SCR-596-T1 was identified as a "spot" jammer. All were tested at the same time. I'm interested in more information on the Jackal, too. I have a bunch of files on it set aside for me for my trip down to Maxwell, but am interested in anything you might have as well.

Thanks in advance.

Alan