Scaled Composites Model 406 "Ardent Dragon"

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on this forum, I thought I should start a topic on this little-publicized program.

The Model 406 Ardent Dragon, a 15-foot remote-controlled flying wing drone, was unveiled by Scaled Composites on 14 March 2018, and was built to demonstrate the effectiveness of Scaled Composites' rapid prototyping and engineering processes.

The Ardent Dragon was developed over 10 weeks in the summer of 2017, from a clean-sheet design, and first flew on an undisclosed date that same year.

The two photos are the only official pictures released by Scaled: the first one shows the Model 406 attached on top of a vehicle, possibly for ground laminar flow testing (the so-called "truck-based wind tunnel" method, as seen here; the second shows Scaled intern Karen Kuhlman working on what was her first project (she has now become a full-fledged engineer for Scaled).

Attachments

• Model 406 Ardent Dragon.jpg
    Model 406 Ardent Dragon.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Karen Kuhlman working on Model 406.jpg
    Karen Kuhlman working on Model 406.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 401
Interesting! However, Stephane, i'm skeptical of being able to test laminar flow on a vehicle mounted on top of a car. I doubt that even the tiniest potholes on any road (or lakebed) are conducive to the type of flow quality that is required to test these things.
Maybe some stability and control data?

AeroFranz said:
Interesting! However, Stephane, i'm skeptical of being able to test laminar flow on a vehicle mounted on top of a car. I doubt that even the tiniest potholes on any road (or lakebed) are conducive to the type of flow quality that is required to test these things.
Maybe some stability and control data?

Yep, you're probably right! Otherwise they wouldn't have to do all those test flights with all the stripes attached all over! LOL

Looks more like an owl than a dragon to me