SAM Meteor?

norseman

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I have now heard it from two colleagues in the industry that a SAM derivative of the Meteor has been more than just "looked at". Considering what surface launched AMRAAM has brought to the table in it's various flavours then a booster added Meteor (with the enhanced software update for land attack/anti radar) would sound like a very tasty bit of kit. I have not heard whether this interest is just manufacturer musings or there is a player out there asking questions? What I was told over a beer was slimline booster based on Aster tech with with wide ranging feeds and programable multi mission/target re-scope capability but this in turn came from a previous "over a beer" chat. I see no flaw in the concept and as an added layer to what CAMM/ER brings to push out past 100/150km (well past with a slimline Aster booster).

I could even see this as a useful shore defence system mission killing vessels a good couple of hundred k's out with a Mach 4/4.5 strike against radar and other critical systems. Without compromising anyone would be be interesting to see if there is anything further in this past bored engineers pitching ideas upstairs. :)

I have wondered about a SAM version of the Meteor, however MBDA already offers Aspide 2000, Aster, CAMM, CAMM ER, Spada 2000 and MICA is there a need for a further system?

What advantages would a Meteor based SAM offer?

When it was first mooted, lower developmental and procurement costs when compared to a brand new design were a major driver.

Surely Meteor as a SAM offers Sea Dart like capabilities in a package that is not much different from Sparrow or Aspide.
There was a Twitter picture with what looked like Meteor painted green being fired from an Army vehicle concept.....

I have wondered about a SAM version of the Meteor, however MBDA already offers Aspide 2000, Aster, CAMM, CAMM ER, Spada 2000 and MICA is there a need for a further system?

What advantages would a Meteor based SAM offer?

Much much longer range and smart targeting (SAM/SSM/AR) above and beyond what current products give utilising off the shelf capability.

I did consider putting this under "hypothetical" but the info given was certainly past that level, though I am not sure if any physical engineering has been carried out (but it was insinuated it had been), I work in different areas now.

This is from "FIT FOR MISSION – DESIGN TAILORING ASPECTS OF THROTTLEABLE DUCTED ROCKET PROPULSION SYSTEMS"
Apparently there is indeed SAM version of Meteor being considered. However it never really get off the conceptual stage.

Attachments

• Ground Meteor.png
    Ground Meteor.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 86