Sam Mendes to Direct Four Separate Beatles Movies on Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr

Right so it's the BCU - Beatles Cinematic Universe.

After the four origin story movies of our plucky Scouse Supermusicians will we get "Beatles Assemble"?

Beatles - Endgame?

Last edited:
The real question is who they will get to portray the Beatles. You know, For A Modern Audience. Suggestions:

George: Dev Patel
Paul: Ncuti Gatwa
Ringo: John Boyega
John: Jussie Smollett
Yoko: Jodi Whittaker

I think a bold creative decision would be to cast four women in the main roles and Forest Whittaker instead of Jodie Whittaker as Yoko.

I have seen two movies directed by Sam Mendes - Skyfall (very good) and Spectre (run of the mill James Bond).

I needed some persuading before I watched Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back, but I enjoyed watching it anyway. Then, over a period of a few weeks, I watched The Beatles Anthology boxset - which I enjoyed too. There should be some material for movies about the four. Whether I will want to see Mendes' take, I don't know yet.

Right so it's the BCU - Beatles Cinematic Universe.

After the four origin story movies of our plucky Scouse Supermusicians will we get "Beatles Assemble"?

Beatles - Endgame?
But, but, who do they fight? Who will the bad guy be? What superpowers do they have?

I'm not seeing a future for this concept.

I think a bold creative decision would be to cast four women in the main roles and Forest Whittaker instead of Jodie Whittaker as Yoko.

You mean four black women, don't you? They could put them in endless TV commercials too. Please don't mention Yoko. I want to see her in a scene where she is thrown off a cliff while screaming into a microphone...

sorry, but I think she was a bad influence...

I think a bold creative decision would be to cast four women in the main roles

Four *trans* women with psychological issues and body positivity. And then once the movie starts it not only turns out to be about the Rolling Stones, but it's in Latvian. Subvert audience expectations!

and Forest Whittaker instead of Jodie Whittaker as Yoko.
Too conventional.

I'm mildly puzzled by the certainty on display here that all four movies will be rubbish. Not surprised, though.
My expectations for the four movies aren't particularly high, I have to admit. Against that, at times I have been thoroughly dissappointed by movies based on some of my favourite stories, and pleasantly surprised by adaptations of, to me, material of very little interest. So I will reserve my judgement of Sam Mendes' handiwork until it's ready. YMMV.

What's the fuss about, anyway?

Last edited:
Those were good times: milk still had cream, girls wore miniskirts, musicians had studied music, rappers and influencers had not yet been invented, Hollywood made good movies, and only gravediggers, lawyers, and churchmen wore black. We were minutes away from nuclear annihilation, but we were young...and I still had hair.

For every great movie / song / book / painting / sculpture from the past, there were heaps of rubbish produced at the same time. I think nothing much has changed on that part. Over time, I've become more adept at finding the stuff I really, really like. Either that, or my standards are slipping :p

I can't say that I've seen much positive feedback about this, other than from die hard Beatles fans.

For me it was the idea of a Beatles Quadrilogy - that made me think of all the people trying to ape the MCU.

Four movies about John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Dozens (hundreds?) of movies with spandex-covered MCU-superheroes.
9000+ episodes of The Bold and the Beautiful, and counting.

I'm not bothered.

Because. Nobody. Can. Force. Me. To. Watch. Them.

Maybe I'd give the one about John Lennon a shufty. Maybe not.

Four movies about John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Dozens (hundreds?) of movies with spandex-covered MCU-superheroes.
9000+ episodes of The Bold and the Beautiful, and counting.

I'm not bothered.

Because. Nobody. Can. Force. Me. To. Watch. Them.

Maybe I'd give the one about John Lennon a shufty. Maybe not.

I can't believe you said that out loud. Good for you...

In my opiniation, anything that is published about the Beatles will be a good deal because their generation was the one that had the largest number of young people in history, many are still alive, they have more money than their grandchildren and few cultural options that are to their liking to spend it.

Attachments

• 193971588-grupo-de-ancianos-felices-que-se-unen-al-aire-libre-en-el-parque-ancianos-de-60-70-8...jpg
    193971588-grupo-de-ancianos-felices-que-se-unen-al-aire-libre-en-el-parque-ancianos-de-60-70-8...jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 3