RS-28 Sarmat (SS-X-30) ICBM

Larger numbers of smaller warheads has been the US strategy since the mid-60's. If you ignore prompt ionizing radiation and fallout as components in nuclear weapons, that makes sense. The reality is that thousands of sub-megaton weapons will create far worse radiological effects than multi-megaton weapons detonated at higher altitudes.

The US kept 54 Titan II missiles for years in answer to the earlier Russian giant missiles. Peacekeeper I suppose took their place till the end of the Cold War.
I assume if the US wanted to it could deploy a similar weapon?
Too many eggs in one basket, and MARVs on a depressed trajectory are probably no easier to intercept than HGVs and require less LV size/mass. Originally there was supposed to be 200 LGM-118s deployed and 339 missiles total but in the end the MMIII solution was preferred having more missiles. An LGM-135A based system with 4x475kT MARVs and 500 deployed missiles is probably what they should be aiming for now, along with 250-300 Trident system with 8 of the same MARVs.

Last edited:
Military Updates has just put out this video about the SS-X-30 Satan 2:

The RS-28 Sarmat represents the pinnacle of Russia's strategic missile arsenal, designed to replace its aging predecessor, the R-36M2 Voyevoda. With a reported range of over 18,000 kilometers and the ability to carry multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles (MIRVs), the Sarmat promises to enhance Russia's nuclear deterrence capabilities significantly.
The RS-28 Sarmat is Russia’s next-generation, nuclear-capable and multiple independent reentry vehicle (MIRV)-equipped super-heavy intercontinental ballistic missile. It is expected to become the backbone of the country’s strategic deterrent in the decades to come after deliveries begin later this year.
The Sarmat’s control system is designed to enable the missile to continue on its course even if it is struck by an anti-missile projectile, Vladimir Degtyar, chief designer at the Makeyev Rocket Design Bureau, the rocket center which developed the RS-28, has revealed.

Now if the narrator's voice sounds familiar that's because he narrates Screen Junkies Honest Trailer videos;):D.

I noticed that and I pointed that out in the comments along with the fact that many of those rockets weren't missiles.
"Can correct trajectory even after behind hit by an air defence missile." Errr wat? :rolleyes:

The US kept 54 Titan II missiles for years in answer to the earlier Russian giant missiles. Peacekeeper I suppose took their place till the end of the Cold War.
I assume if the US wanted to it could deploy a similar weapon?
Already does, Trident II. Can probably find a spot at Vandenburg or Canaveral with silos.