RR Griffon Griffon Mk 57/58, 88, or 130 with contra prop

negoshi8or

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I am hunting for a drawing or plan of the contra-rotating gearbox fitted to the RR Griffon 57/58, 88, 130 engines. This youtube clip from HAE is great and shows nice detail.
I have seen plenty of engine drawings, superchargers, etc but not the gearbox.

I build stick and tissue aircraft and especially love (and appreciate) the drawings from Kiradog of the BV P.208.

I now want the challenge of building a more compact gearbox similar in design to RR so it fits into the nosecone of some tractor projects like the MB5, Spitfire 14, Spiteful/Seafang.

Thanks in advance for your help - and apologies if I missed a previous post in searching the forum over the last few hours.

If anyone can point me to a literature reference that would be great!

Have a great day!

I recommend this:
In this volume you will find detailed drawings of the contra-rotating gearbox of the Seafire, etc.
Thanks Basil - that is a great reference! Fantastic drawing and it reveals the challenge of finding an 'internal' plastic gear (#3 on the drawing) where the teeth are inside the gear disc not on the outside. Westland Wyvern model kits have internal gears for the contra-prop, but trying to identify the kit supplier of the gears is a mission - need a larger size to handle the rubber powah!

I love the article and the drawing link - Thank you very much Basil.

You are welcome. You can order this volume in print format which has several additional drawings.