Royal Navy got Essex carriers - with a twist.

something to add on possible post war US construction.. think this may be the armored deck version of the Essex.. s511-41.jpg

Gives you about 3500 sq. meters of hangar and swapping the 5 inch guns for deck edge elevators would be good..

something to add on possible post war US construction.. think this may be the armored deck version of the Essex.. View attachment 670258

Gives you about 3500 sq. meters of hangar and swapping the 5 inch guns for deck edge elevators would be good..
I don't think that's an Essex. The island is wrong and it's about 100' shorter (at least if I read it right that the design is 781' in length).

What's the hanger height there?
USN standard as far as I know 17.5 feet. and I think the hangar is 75 feet wide but as you can see the thing is fuzzy in spots

EDIT: Wait..... yeah what exactly IS the hangar height on this SOB? At the fore end you got three decks...

Last edited:
something to add on possible post war US construction.. think this may be the armored deck version of the Essex.. View attachment 670258

I don't think that's an Essex. The island is wrong and it's about 100' shorter (at least if I read it right that the design is 781' in length).
it might be shorter but I think it was part of the same design process but it has been a LONG time since I read the original thread I found it on that I got not clue one. This is also from the same source and that is most definitely an Essex but the various other engine options shown. It does give an idea of what the USN had floating about that something "other" for the RN could be built out from.

Will post an oddball just for giggles.. something that was in the Midway design phases..
s511-08.jpg

s511-34a.jpg

This is the ship.

Last edited:
But even if the USN built something based off of CV-D for the RN after Oriskany that puts the "sell by" date for them at 1975. It just means that through the 50's and 60's the Royal Navy would have four BIG-ish carriers maybe five; two Audacious's and 2-3 of these so they are still going to be looking at replacing something in '75 to '78.

Wait it just hit me.. these would be built post war and about the time the Forrestal's were... they might have a 40 year hull life.

What's a standard USN deck height?
The first deck under the flight deck seems to be higher which matches later RN efforts....maybe 10ft?

What's a standard USN deck height?
The first deck under the flight deck seems to be higher which matches later RN efforts....maybe 10ft?
10 definitely So this thing has prolly 20 feet under the ready rooms and a LOT Of rafter parking

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom