Robey Peters R.R.F.25 Biplane Fighter

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

this biplane fighter designed by J. A. Peters for Robey & Copmany during WWI,for
anti-Zeppelin role,I want to know from where came this designation "25" ?.

The Complete book of Fighters

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 2.png
    2.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 3.png
    3.png
    256 KB · Views: 241
'The Complete Book of Fighters' by William Green and Gordon Swanborough. Smithmark 1995. Get a copy if you don't already have one.

Yes my dear Arjen,

I have this book,and I sent a part from it,but my question is what was Number 25 ?.

I very much doubt that either of the Robey Peters machines were ever known as the R.R.F.25 in their day. Almost certainly they would have been referred to as the Robey Peters Fighting Machine or Robey Peters Gun Carrier. Unfortunately contemporary issues of neither Flight nor Aeroplane appear to make any reference to these aircraft.
There is a nice little publication on Robey Aircraft Production by John Walls, produced in 1974, which contains drawings of the two machines, dated January 1968, that does use the term R.R.F.25, and this is the earliest use of that designation I have found. None of the text or photo captions in the booklet use the R.R.F.25 designation, sticking to Robey Peters Fighting Machine.
So, where did that designation come from? I have theories, but all speculative. Possibly R.R.F. is a mis-transcription of R.P.F (Robey Peters Fighting Machine). The machine featured a 250 h.p. Rolls Royce engine, so possibly that is the origin of the 25? Equally R.R.F.25 could stand for "Rolls Royce Fighting machine, 250 h.p." Whatever R.R.F.25 may have meant, I do not believe it do have ever have been a true designation.
To add a little more confusion, Ray Sturtivant, in Royal Navy Aircraft Serial and Units, 1911-1919, refers to the aircraft as the Robey-Peters Gbs Gun-Carrier!