RIP Steve Pace

Steve and I had exchanged messages only a couple of days before he passed. It was all so sudden and unexpected.
The way I learned about the sad news was when his grandson left an R.I.P. message on his page on that fateful day, confirmed to me in the next few hours by his sister.

A few weeks ago, as I told him I had taken some distance from this forum, he kindly commented that "we've been missing your inputs", which was awfully nice a thing to say. It touched me even more so that, as some may recall, Steve and I had had our differences on this very forum a few years ago. Later on, however, I found out he was an amiable character who gladly took criticism, was able to admit a mistake (not everyone can) and also to move on once something had been sorted out for good.
I felt honored to be added to his team of proof-readers for his outstanding book on X-Fighters and X-Bombers.

Our last exchange was about the photo below. I was telling him that his new Mustang was quite a stretch from the old P-51 (a plane I knew he loved so much) and that made him laugh. I even suggested that he could apply the Rockwell International markings of Bob Hoover's yellow P-51 racer on his Ford, and his reply was: "Don't tempt me!"

R.I.P. Steve Pace. :'(

index.php

What a terrible shock to see this news. We've all benefited from his work, his contributions to this forum, and from his conviviality.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Pace.

Rest In Peace.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4XsDQYDi4

I'm really stunned,
just a few days ago I talk with my brothers about Steve's yellow Mustang.
RIP Steve, we all miss you

Nico

Very sad news. RIP. I already have his last book on pre-order. What a legacy he leaves.

This news is a stunner. Had just recently passed back and forth a few e-mails about his recent X-Planes book and was looking forward to his Lockheed Skunk Works book. A real gentleman to communicate with, will truly miss him.

R.I.P. Steve... Mark

From Tony Buttler

Really sorry to hear the news about Steve P. I only ever corresponded with him a couple of times but he seems to have been a decent and genuine guy who clearly cared about his subject.

Our little community seems to get smaller and in fact last week was a bad week. At just about the same time as Steve passed away we also lost Pat Hassell of the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust at Filton. Another top guy who had great enthusiasm for the protection of aviation history. We will miss you both.

Tony.

This is a shock to read about. Like many others, I was reading some of his posts here just a few days ago. RIP to an aviation literature legend. Condollenses to his family and friends.

Regards,
Gerard

Posted on Steve's page today:

Attachments

• 13323481_10206782588506896_2350546391926437302_o.jpg
    13323481_10206782588506896_2350546391926437302_o.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 279