Ridley Scott "The Martian" first footage

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Not a trailer
but mission video of ARES 3 crew hours bevor Mars Transit Injection
interesting taking the video publication date and count the 150 day flight time bring ARES 3 in November to mars same time the Movie premiere ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumZP6_9sHU

I've read the book now, with this "trailer", I can't wait to see the movie! ;D ;D ;D

I can't wait to see the movie with Matt Damon.... Mhh, not really. ;)

But I really can't wait to see Scott Lowther's plastic model of the "Hermes" spaceship with its re-entry pods and Mars Rovers at fantastic-plastic.com sometime in a nearer future. B) ;) :D

Attachments

• Hermes_spaceship_movie_ARES_3_2015.png
    Hermes_spaceship_movie_ARES_3_2015.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 335
Is America FINALLY getting its mo-joe back?

Hope so.

Thank you, Elon.

David

I will definitely watch the movie, but I recommend reading the book. I enjoyed it immensely, like i hadn't enjoyed a book in a long time.

fightingirish said:
But I really can't wait to see Scott Lowther's plastic model of the "Hermes" spaceship with its re-entry pods and Mars Rovers at fantastic-plastic.com sometime in a nearer future. B) ;) :D

Granted that not much has yet been shown about the ship, but it *looks* like it has "gravity plating" throughout the ship, and doesn't need the rotating section.

odd...in the book they clearly mention the rotating section and there being sections with different levels of gravity.

I can't think of any Zero-G sound stages, unless you count the sets built in the reduced gravity aircraft, aka Vomit Comet, for Apollo 13. As long as sound stages are built on Earth, we will continue to have inaccurate depictions of artificial gravity and Zero-G environments.

Triton said:
I can't think of any Zero-G sound stages, unless you count the sets built in the reduced gravity aircraft, aka Vomit Comet, for Apollo 13. As long as sound stages are built on Earth, we will continue to have inaccurate depictions of artificial gravity and Zero-G environments.

PanAm Velcro shoes.

David

AeroFranz said:
odd...in the book they clearly mention the rotating section and there being sections with different levels of gravity.

I'm about halfway through the book. There's been one reference to rotation for gravity that I've seen, and it was sufficiently vague that it could mean that the ship had a separate torus like this one, or the ship itself rotated, or the ship itself tumbled.

Triton said:

Only due to budget or laziness. "Interstellar," "Gravity," and, perhaps oddly, "Inception" all dealt with zero-g convincingly. Even Disney's "The Black Hole," going on 40 freakin years old, took a decent enough stab at it.

If microgravity isn't a major portion of your movie - it was in "Gravity," it isn't in "The Martian," then the best way to deal with it is to keep people strapped in their seats as much as possible. A few shots showing people doing some basic minimal floating would seem easy enough just to set the stage.

fightingirish said:
I can't wait to see the movie with Matt Damon.... Mhh, not really.

How do you think Stephen Dorff feels? Matt Damon stole his career. Short, white actor but can also write screen plays and do Boston Irish accents. Dorff never stood a chance.

merriman said:
Is America FINALLY getting its mo-joe back?

Its only Hollywood. Real mojo costs real money. And no one buys tickets to watch it.

Orionblamblam said:
Granted that not much has yet been shown about the ship, but it *looks* like it has "gravity plating" throughout the ship, and doesn't need the rotating section.

It’s also got lots of room inside. Must have been a discount going on space launching when it was built.

Triton said:
I can't think of any Zero-G sound stages, unless you count the sets built in the reduced gravity aircraft, aka Vomit Comet, for Apollo 13.

If they can make Andy Serkis look like King Kong I’m pretty sure they could just digitise Kate Mara floating in zero g, with her hair loose, grinning cheekily, in a bikini….

Orionblamblam said:
Only due to budget or laziness. "Interstellar," "Gravity," and, perhaps oddly, "Inception" all dealt with zero-g convincingly. Even Disney's "The Black Hole," going on 40 freakin years old, took a decent enough stab at it.

How can you not mention Barbarella in that list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6WMdrzbJw

Orionblamblam said:
Abraham Gubler said:
How can you not mention Barbarella in that list?

Because my father is a Viet Nam vet.

So if Chris Pratt was a Neo Nazi you wouldn't go see the new Jurassic Park movie? These people are just actors. Giving any production they perform in some kind of special credence because of their personal life choices is giving them far more significance than they deserve.

Jane Fonda may be an idiot and even a traitorous, despicable idiot. But that doesn't mean she didn't look super gorgeous in 1968 and could move from stage right to stage left and utter the right words on cue in order to make an effective contribution to a movie film. Which was all that was required of her in this film, which BTW was made several years before she became a political activist.

She profits from each new video sold or ticket exchanged for money. Jane Fonda is a traitor.

Don't feed the pig. Or, feed the pig. Your call.

David

Abraham Gubler said:
So if Chris Pratt was a Neo Nazi you wouldn't go see the new Jurassic Park movie?

A few points:
1) I would not knock anyone who refused to see the movie on those grounds.
2) Being a neo-Nazi is, in my mind, less of a problem than being an outright traitor who should have been jailed decades ago
3) I'd go see Jurassic World to look at the dinosaurs (and to bitch about the plot), not NaziPratt. But as you suggest, some people seem to think that Fonda was attractive back in the Barbarella days, and thus they'd go see that movie to look at *her.*
4) Barbarella is a relic from the distant past.
5) The bits and pieces I've seen of Barbarella make it look, Fonda notwithstanding, about as appealing as a Beatles movie, a 1950's French arthouse flick or a soccer game... i.e., not even a little bit.

Jane Fonda may be an idiot and even a traitorous, despicable idiot. But that doesn't mean she didn't look super gorgeous in 1968

Sure. What made her look not-super-gorgeous is the fact that the pictures of her I've seen circa 1968 make her look not-super-gorgeous. YMMV.

I'm sure the Playmate Of The Month from the same month that Barbarella was released was also super gorgeous. But I think I can go the rest of my life without spending several hours devoted to the quest for finding out.

Grey Havoc said:

from this:

"It's a situation where you just have to suggest it, I think" Damon added. "We're not at a point where we can do 40 percent gravity. We can do weightlessness, we can get on wires and do that space stuff, or you can do the 'Vomit Comet' [parabolic flights]."

Matt Damon might not be able to do low gravity but Fred Astaire did it back in the 1950s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoYyDlYU8M

Anne Hathaway talked a bit about how they did the zero-g effects on Interstellar when she was on the Graham Norton Show on the Beeb. It was one of the funnier "pull the curtain back" moments in film interviews. She said they'd stand on one leg, cleverly positioned out of camera, and "float". She even demonstrated using Graham's couch.