Rheinmetall W&M GmbH 105mm smooth bore gun program???

Thank you for the article GTX!

Unfortunately, it still doesn't indicate what happened to this program or if it went into production.

Also, if I may, in the article, it states:
"Although the gun is smooth-bore, it can be fired with the available types of 105mm rifled tank gun ammunition if equipped with a leading belt."

Please excuse my ignorance, but can I ask what a "leading belt" is?

Regards
Pioneer

Adding to my original question in relation to the Rheinmetall 105mm smooth-bore gun, am I correct to say that the Rheinmetall Rh-105-30 is the smooth-bore gun in question?
Does anyone possibly know if there are any profile artwork/drawings of
Rheinmetall 105mm smooth-bore gun?

Regards
Pioneer

I would say not.

The -30 was the expected trunnion load in tonnes. It was one option of a family of 105mm (rifled) ordnance proposed by Rheinmetall which incorporated both different lengths of recoil and/ or a muzzle brake. For example the standard 105mm L7A3 used on the Leo-1 was effectively the Rh-105-60, a super long recoil version with a muzzle brake was Rh-105-15.

The 105mm smoothbore, along with early 120mm smoothbore, was used on early prototypes for what became Leo-2. Part of Project Keller.

At the time it was considered that the improved performance of the 120mm would be needed for the future and the 105mm was discontinued.

Thank you for your reply Old_ROF

So the search goes on....

Regards
Pioneer

Regards
Pioneer
I've come across a reference in my files to an article on the 105mm smoothbore from mid 2009 in Jane's Armour and Artillery Upgrades. I've not got the article itself, so I'm not sure if there is any more detail but there is usually a photo or two with them. Hope gives a way forward. Probably in the 2010 issue if you can locate.

Cheers
Old_R!OF

Regards
Pioneer
I've come across a reference in my files to an article on the 105mm smoothbore from mid 2009 in Jane's Armour and Artillery Upgrades. I've not got the article itself, so I'm not sure if there is any more detail but there is usually a photo or two with them. Hope gives a way forward. Probably in the 2010 issue if you can locate.

Cheers
Old_R!OF
Thanks once again Old_ROF.
To be honest, the Rheinmetall 105mm smoothbore gun I was focusing on appears to be 1980/1990's era, whether the gun you refer was an outgrowth of this...
I've just finished an email to Rheinmetall in the attempt to find out more - I'll naturally convey anything they afford me.

Regards
Pioneer