Rheem Aircraft & Targets

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Rheem Manufacturing Co. acquired Platt LePage in 1944,it designed some target drones,such as R-164 and R-180,also it created a VTO aircraft project in 1947,as I have in my files,it involved in a VTOL design,who know more ?.

This site (in picture # 2) is not open !.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.png
    2.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Is this the same Rheem corporation that makes air conditioners and hot water heaters?

The VTO project was Haviland Platt's Tilt-Rotor.
They would have been involved with a number of Platt-LePage projects, if economic conditions in 1946 had turned out better.
A family friend who worked at Platt-LePage Aircraft, told me how she was working on the Tilt-Rotor design one day, then all Platt-LePage design work was abruptly shut down, and transferred to industrial equipment.

There was some collaboration of Rheem, and Haviland Platt, that continued beyond the end of Platt-LePage, for a time.

Attachments

• PLLP tiltrotor 1.jpg
    PLLP tiltrotor 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 45
Platt-LePage and Rheem worked together on several projects, related to the helicopters, and helicopter components, as well as using Platt-LePage engineering staff on non aviation military projects.
Some may not be aware, but Platt-LePage Aircraft was located on the Baldwin Locomotive Works facilities, the area which was located quite literally adjacent to the Delaware river. (As was one of the major suppliers of specialty airframe components for the XR-1 & XR-1A, and YR-1A)

This made Platt-LePage a valuable subcontractor for Rheem's non aviation military contracts during WW-2, with the availability of Baldwin's heavy production facilities.

This became a factor in causing the shut down of Platt-LePage postwar, when they were locked out of their facilities during a steel workers union strike in 1946.
A little sample of something from my material from the Rheem WW-2 era Rheeminder..

Attachments

• Rheeminder Oct 1944 cover copy lo.jpg
    Rheeminder Oct 1944 cover copy lo.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 32
  • XR-1A Rheeminder 1 copy lo rez.jpg
    XR-1A Rheeminder 1 copy lo rez.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Platt-LePage Grounds.jpg
    Platt-LePage Grounds.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Platt-LePage and Rheem worked together on several projects, related to the helicopters, and helicopter components, as well as using Platt-LePage engineering staff on non aviation military projects.
Some may not be aware, but Platt-LePage Aircraft was located on the Baldwin Locomotive Works facilities, the area which was located quite literally adjacent to the Delaware river. (As was one of the major suppliers of specialty airframe components for the XR-1 & XR-1A, and YR-1A)

This made Platt-LePage a valuable subcontractor for Rheem's non aviation military contracts during WW-2, with the availability of Baldwin's heavy production facilities.

This became a factor in causing the shut down of Platt-LePage postwar, when they were locked out of their facilities during a steel workers union strike in 1946.
A little sample of something from my material from the Rheem WW-2 era Rheeminder..

Are there any more projects to Rheem ?.

Rheem and Platt-LePage were working on all metal rotor blades for the XR-1 / XR-1A / YR-1A / PL-11 / PL-12 series, and undoubtedly would have extended to the other designs, and proposals, had they been built.
The fabric covered rotor blades used on the two Platt-LePage helicopters were generally a pain to deal with, that all early helicopter companies that used them, discovered in flight tests, and operational use.

I heard from a Piasecki Helicopter Co. engineer that Rheem was involved in subcontracting metal rotors for Piasecki in the 1950s. He told me that he was surprised to see Haviland Platt still having some connection to Rheem at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom