Relativity Space Terran R Rocket

I do hope that they succeed with their Terran R rocket; it's an interesting and IMO fairly aesthetically pleasing design, though I'm very curious as to what they're making the 2nd stage out of that's so heat resistant. It'll also be interesting to see how cheap they can get the marginal launch cost to be; if the thermal protection system is capable of being embedded into the structure / hull material choice then that'll potentially help a lot with being competitive with Starship's launch cost goals.

Things are accelerating. Blue Origin was once SpaceX most advanced competitor; now Rocketlab and Relativity are on its heels. The more, the merrier !

Recovery of second stages is a very difficult issue; and it will be fascinating to see companies different approaches at solving this problem.

So far we have
- SpaceX Falcon 9: stage 2 not recovered.
- SpaceX BFR-Starship: stage 2 recovered, turned multipurpose spaceship
- Blue Origin: New Glenn / New Armstrong: stage 2 not recovered, yet could be turned wet workshop once stuck in orbit
- Rocketlab Neutron: stage 2 not recovered, so close from Falcon 9
- Relativity: stage 2 to be recovered (aerodynamically ?)

Let the fun begin !

Last edited:
I imagine huge factories making IRBM hypersonic strike weapons by the hundreds per day :oops:

Terran R, Rocket Lab's Neutron, Falcon 9, Starship, New Glenn (if it ever flies). 5 years from now space flight is going to even more interesting.

Relativity is on Countdown for Terran-1
let's hope it will be a success

Relativity is on Countdown for Terran-1
let's hope it will be a success
And it's a scrub. They spent a lot of time trying to get the propellant temps right and it looks like the 2nd stage just was not cooperating.

Automatic abort trigger by Autopilot

They tried to recycle after that automatic abort but it looks like they couldn't get the temps right and decided to scrub part way through the recycled countdown.

I believe they have done a full tanking test before. What's changed from that? Did the high wind increase heat flow too much?

The Drama continue

Terran-1 made it countdown, just 1 minute before launch, some idiot cruise his boat in safety zone
Then they restart countdown, Ignitions happen and Nothing, Terran-1 shut down and remain obstinate on Launch pad...
launch crew checking the rocket for another launch attempt today.

This Rocket behave like a Diva...

Relativity will Annonce a new launch date

According a member of Nasa Space Flight Forum
the Gas Generator of engine failed to power the Turbopumps to full speed.
seems the time frame of GG operation was too short to start up TP operation.

if that's the case a simple modification of Gas Generator fix the problem.

Source:

What advantages are there with a 3D printed rocket versus the existing manufacturing methods?

I could only think of use of 3D printing for low volume and prototyping work ....

What advantages are there with a 3D printed rocket versus the existing manufacturing methods?

I could only think of use of 3D printing for low volume and prototyping work ....
Faster iteration, lower tooling costs (including time), more flexibility in part design.

The only way to find out is to actually try it :).

Relativity publish there Failure report on Terran 1 flight

it was Gas generator for Turbopumps
Valve open to slow and there was gas in Lox line to it.
this let more methane in generator to power it correctly
and Turbopump starved...

now to bad news
Relativity abandon the Terran 1 and focus on Terran R
also they abandon the 3d printing of rocket hull
and will build tanks of Terran R out metal sheet

This mean it will takes years until we see another Relativity rocket

Source:
Scott Manley

Apparently that was the first and last flight of Terran 1. They're moving on to Terran R and it will incorporate more traditional methods of manufacture where it makes sense. There will still be a lot of 3D printed stuff but I'm guess it's won't be any cylindrical body sections.

Back
Top Bottom