Re: Lockheed Archangels: the evolution of the A-12

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
For the newly updated and expanded Code One website,
Lockheed Martin has uploaded a video of the A-12′s first flight to its YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdtKHyefwA&feature=player_embedded#!

Amazing. I can't help thinking of the staff people present on that day, those that were 60 years old and were born at the same time as aviation... who had grown-up hearing tales of the Wrights, Curtiss, Blériot, and the likes... had seen their dads or uncles enlist in the Great War as pilots... had cheered at Lindbergh and Earhart's exploits as young adults... had witnessed the birth of the jet age... the atom... and were now the privileged spectators of the advent of the stratospheric age in aviation. No single six decades in the world's history, ever before or probably after, will have seen such dramatic changes in the way we perceive and modify our existence. Plus they had a clear view (however exaggerated) of who were the good guys and the bad guys, what they were doing it all for... and they died before seeing the Vietnam debacle, the Iraq mass deception and the Afghanistan quagmire, and all the crap that's been going on since no-one knows why we wage war anymore and who we do it for.

Sorry for the OT and this bout of emotional nostalgia... but I admire and envy all these guys... Much respect to all of them, be they engineers, soldiers, pilots or mere employees.

...This clip is just more proof to my long-standing theory that those who voted against funding this beauty never actually saw one fly, much less touch one. The Habus deserve to be flying today, and not mothballed or retired as museum queens.

Good of Lockheed to release this video of such a landmark first flight. Sounds like there is more to come too.

I can't really tell what the chase aircraft is around the 1:10 mark? A F-104?

Yeah that's an F-104. They used F-101Bs out there for chase planes as well.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask: I am looking for info and, especially, good 3-views, on the Lockheed CL-400 Suntan projects. The little I have seen always impressed me considerably.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-4404/ch8-1.htm
http://xplanes.free.fr/suntan/cl400-1.html
http://xplanes.free.fr/suntan/cl400-4.html

flateric said:
The newly declassified material will provide researchers on aviation and intelligence with significant additional detail about the design and development of the A-12 -- still the fastest and highest flying piloted operational jet aircraft ever built

;)

Machdiamond said:
Came across this interesting AIAA report available from NASA, I don't think it has been posted before:
AIAA 2009-1522 Design and Development of the Blackbird: Challenges and Lessons Learned
Covers several topics discussed in this thread.
--Luc

...Outstanding find, sir! So much for my going to bed early tonight, I'll have you know :p :p :p

UPDATE: I stayed up all night enjoying this report. Haven't had this much fun studying the Habu since 1984, when I did a rather thick term paper for a Naval Weapons System class right after both the Skunk Works and the DOD declassified a bunch of documents, including the first set of OXCART docs. The paper was a bit controversial within the unit because the Habus were *not* a naval weapons system by a long shot. Still, it got an A+ with extra credit, and last I heard was still available for checkout from the NROTC Library at Texas University even though it does need a bit of updating.

Attachments

• A-12 Wendover Crash 01.jpg
    A-12 Wendover Crash 01.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 921
  • A-12 Wendover Crash 02.jpg
    A-12 Wendover Crash 02.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 902
  • A-12 Wendover Crash 03.jpg
    A-12 Wendover Crash 03.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 868
  • A-12 Wendover Crash 04.jpg
    A-12 Wendover Crash 04.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 836
  • A-12 Wendover Crash 05.jpg
    A-12 Wendover Crash 05.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 858
I'm not entirely sure this has been posted before, many of these photographs have been seen on TD's other sites (Area51specialprojects and RoadrunnersInternationale). However, these are the special high res shots from a wide variety of subjects. Many thanks to TD for sharing these.

http://td-barnes.com/hires/

Beautiful aircraft. After so many years. Still my favourite.

I just wander what they can do today with all the computers, digital control, new materials and further development of J-58 engine.

I love the A-12. It along with the YF-12 are the two very underrated brothers of the SR-71 (that I know of.)

Thanks for the link, tacitblue1973 and Matej. It truly is an amazing find.

PlanesPictures said:
some time ago I started work on CL-400's family visualization but I wasn't satisfied with my done 3D drawing of these next models. Do you know some other drawings of these beautiful projects?

Splendid!

Found this on the net not looking for nothing.

Attachments

• wind tunnel models of the A-12.jpg
    wind tunnel models of the A-12.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 112