RAF Harrier GR3 Centerline Phimat Pod

spike7451

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Here's one for you all,A Phimat chaff/flare/ECM pod & a locally made shortened version was trialled by 4Sqn at RAF Gutersloh but never adopted from what I gather,We had a thread on BM & thru my trade site I found out what it was;

unknownpod.jpg

(Thanks to Dave Fleming for the photo)

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/ecm_dispenser_phimat_ready.jpg

Merv

spike7451 said:
Here's one for you all,A Phimat chaff/flare/ECM pod & a locally made shortened version was trialled by 4Sqn at RAF Gutersloh but never adopted from what I gather,We had a thread on BM & thru my trade site I found out what it was;

unknownpod.jpg

(Thanks to Dave Fleming for the photo)

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/ecm_dispenser_phimat_ready.jpg

Merv

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH :eek: :eek:

I have read at several books, that something similar was used over the Falklands war... it´s true?

1Saludo

I've never heard of such a pod being used. There was a jammer pod called Blue Eric, which was basically a lightened Sky Shadow repackaged into a 30mm cannon pod. This was reportedly flown south on four Harrier GR.3s, but it seems to have reached the theater too late to be of use.

Some aircraft also had ALE-40 chaff dispensers added, but this was not a pod. ALE-40s were just bolted onto the airframe aft of the speed brakes. (Before ALE-40 was fitted, Sea Harriers were flying with chaff packets stuffed under the speed brakes -- one tap on the brakes and the chaff would scatter.)

TomS said:
I've never heard of such a pod being used. There was a jammer pod called Blue Eric, which was basically a lightened Sky Shadow repackaged into a 30mm cannon pod. This was reportedly flown south on four Harrier GR.3s, but it seems to have reached the theater too late to be of use.

Any photo?

Some aircraft also had ALE-40 chaff dispensers added, but this was not a pod. ALE-40s were just bolted onto the airframe aft of the speed brakes. (Before ALE-40 was fitted, Sea Harriers were flying with chaff packets stuffed under the speed brakes -- one tap on the brakes and the chaff would scatter.)

Yes, I know that story...

1Saludo

roberto_yeager said:
TomS said:
There was a jammer pod called Blue Eric,
Any photo?

I've never seen one. Reportedly, it's basically indistinguishable from the gun pod save for having a half-moon shaped dielectric antenna cover in place of the shell casing ejection port housing on the bottom of the pod.

Back
Top Bottom